Barrels scratched !! Wood dented !! Fore end slack &#3

Danoi99

Hi guys, Just bought a lovely little Side by Side ( BLNE, choked 1/4 & 1/2, 26 inch barrels ) Its gonna be my new pigeon gun.

The woodwork has some dents ( some steam-able..........some not )

What's the best way of sorting out deep dents in the stock? off the shelf fillers any good ?

The barrels have some light scratches here and there, the rest of the barrels are a nice deep glossy affair!!

Been considering doing a cosmetic touch up job on the barrels using one of these products:

Birchwood Casey's Super Blue, Brownell's Oxpho-Blue or Brownell's formula 44/40 instant gun blue.

Anyone got any experience of using these products? What are the results like ? Am I wasting my time ?

I paid less then £130 for the beast so I aint too worried............that said, I would love to get it back to it's former glory...........it's a pretty little gun with good chequering and the action is a nice mix of blue and orange from the colour case hardening.

Also, the fore end is a tiny bit wobbly................don't get me wrong the gun is tight, but there is a tiny bit of rattle up front..............is that easy to sort out ??

This will be my first attempt at a renovation / tart up !! really appreciate any help or advice you can throw my way. :thanks:

Fillers:::!!!!

Scrape the original wood from the butt, with sharp one sided blade:

Scrape out the **** from deep scratches and add Super glue and leave proud, Sand off. and finish.

Fine wire wool barrels and keep gloves on, Rubber:

Always heat the barrels before using gun blue, about the heat from hot kettle, don`t burn your self use rubber gloves, no finger marks allowed on metal.

Job Done: :yes:

Second that. :good:

Used regular birch wood casey bluing for my sbs. Followed instructions to the dot, looks good in low light but outside in the sun the bluing isn't the best looking, doesn't look deep and black can still see a sort of silver shimmer to the bluing. Wish I had of got the equipment to do a hot bluing job or slow rust bluing!

Used regular birch wood casey bluing for my sbs. Followed instructions to the dot, looks good in low light but outside in the sun the bluing isn't the best looking, doesn't look deep and black can still see a sort of silver shimmer to the bluing. Wish I had of got the equipment to do a hot bluing job or slow rust bluing!

I have heard that BWC doesn't do that good of a job. Have watched vids of people repairing scratches with 44/40......to be honest, it looks rubbish to me. The Oxpho Blue has better reviews. Getting this process wrong could cause pitting so i don't fancy cocking it up. Thinking of buying an old single barrel 12 gauge to practice on first, i spotted one for sale the other day......30 squid........if I really make a mess of it I might just get my mate to powder coat the beast while I set about staining the wood black.......fit a rail, maglight, red dot, laser, sling,.......maybe even chuck some small travel speakers and an i=pod dock ing station into the stock !!!! Is that gonna make people snub me at the local shoot? I hope so !!!

• 2 weeks later...