New laws on air guns - Fact or Fiction

louilester

Whilst searching for info on an air-rifle related subject I found a post on another forum (OBVIOUSLEY not as good as this one) that had some news about new regulations about the sale of second hand air guns..

Here's the body of the post:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Changes to Air Weapons Law

Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006

Following the above Act receiving Royal Assent, regulations will be passed early in 2007 introducing various parts of it, including new restrictions on trading in air weapons.

It will be an offence for a person, other than a registered firearms dealer, by way of trade or business, to sell or transfer an air weapon, expose such a weapon for sale or transfer or have such a weapon in his possession for sale or transfer.

All sales will have to be face to face and the buyer must be at least 18 years of age. The dealers will have to provide an acceptable level of security for the air weapons and keep a register of transactions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?

Loui

No Ideas but i have one comment

GOOD!

Besides i have no air rifles to sell anymore :good:

I would like to know HOW they plan to regulate it though as ALL existing air rifles are not on any register so to enforce this sales idea will take a HUGE effort.

The only REAL way to regulate the sales of ALL air guns (not weapons) would be to kindly ask all who own the guns to register them which just won't happen any time soon :good:

LG

It will be an offence for a person, other than a registered firearms dealer, by way of trade or business, to sell or transfer an air weapon, expose such a weapon for sale or transfer or have such a weapon in his possession for sale or transfer.

All sales will have to be face to face and the buyer must be at least 18 years of age.

Yes, that is what they propose, but it hasnt been passed yet, and there is no guarantee that it will be passed in its current form.

As it is worded, all mail order orders for air-guns will cease, and any commercial seller of air guns must be a Registered Firearms Dealer.Becoming a RFD is not a minor thing.

Can you see the fault yet? - Private individuals can still buy and sell guns privately, to whoever they wish (so long as over 18yo), and they do not have to keep any record of who it was sold to.

There are an estimated 5 millions air guns in the UK now. This new 'law' is supposed to make the buying of guns harder for the criminally minded, and social inadequates of this world. Of all the air-guns incidents in the past 3 years or so, I doubt that any of them have involved a nearly new gun bought via mail order,or from a legitimate gun seller. Of the pictures I've seen, they look like old break barrels, which will still be easily available to anyone.

I despair sometimes with some of the proposals that this Government attempt to bring into us.

Alan.

Hello, maybe this new law is true i would have to do some research, about time it was like that. its amazing what you can buy over the net (who knows how old you are?) and what intentions your using it for as for air rifles, as you know soon as ones in the wrong hands people, cats and wrong doings happen so i hope this law takes effect...

arnold

Hello, maybe this new law is true i would have to do some research, about time it was like that. its amazing what you can buy over the net (who knows how old you are?) and what intentions your using it for as for air rifles, as you know soon as ones in the wrong hands people, cats and wrong doings happen so i hope this law takes effect...

Yes, but the point is, it will not stop anyone buying a new gun over the counter, and it will not stop secondhand private sales of guns, so the usual idiots will still be able to go into any gun shop and buy their £30 chinese break barrel, and shoot at whatever they want.

The only people it will hurt is mail order sellers, and legitimate air gun shops, who will have to register to be a RFD, and invoke the extra costs incurred in doing that.

If somone is going to be an idiot with an air rifle, this new Bill will do nothing to stop it.Existing laws cover the misuse of weapons, if these laws were used, then there would be no need to bring out any more draconian rules for legit sellers.

Alan.

Yes, that is what they propose, but it hasnt been passed yet, and there is no guarantee that it will be passed in its current form.

Alan.

It recieved royal ascent on 08/11/06 and is law NOW. However the parts of the bill that concern airguns have a delayed implementation until 06/04/07

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/violent_crime_reduction_a