New addition

Evolve82

I have just brought my 13 week old lab puppy home today. She is great and has a real love for retrieving a ball!

When playing fetch with her, what commands should I begin to teach her? She already knows 'dead' to release the ball into my hand.

What shoud I say when i release her to fetch the ball when thrown in front of me? How about behind me? To a side? Is there any difference?

I do not think I want to start any whistle work just yet!

At 13 weeks old I would not be restraining a dog from running in on a retrieve, I'd be more interested in getting enthusiasm for the retrieve & letting it run into steadily thicker & thicker cover whilst doing this. I'd also be looking for a dog to swim after a retrieve before any form of steadiness is put in place. At 13 weeks I'd be working on enthusiasm for the whole retrieve & some recall games.

At 13 weeks old I would not be restraining a dog from running in on a retrieve, I'd be more interested in getting enthusiasm for the retrieve & letting it run into steadily thicker & thicker cover whilst doing this. I'd also be looking for a dog to swim after a retrieve before any form of steadiness is put in place. At 13 weeks I'd be working on enthusiasm for the whole retrieve & some recall games.

Agreed, let her be a pup. Everything is a game at that age. She will probably lift a retrieve and drop it, run around you with it, and do things you never thought she would do. Dont rush nothing.