Multimeter

sundaybain

Any multimeter will do, but digital readout will be simplest. Maplins is the place to go.

You'd be better off buying a battery tester though. If using a voltmeter, the amount of charge remaining compared to the voltage output will vary depending upon the chemical composition of the battery. For example, NiMH will have a high voltage until quite near the end, whereas a NiCd will drop off more linearly.

Edited by Barney86

Buy cheap buy twice, a good fluke multi should last you out.

thats odd! My old man bought a cheapo test meter and other stuff like Signal generator etc after coming out of the RAF as a radar and radio tech. That was in the late 60s and it's still going now! I don't think he will live another 50 years so it lasting twice as long is kinda fruitless!

I have a 1995 cavalier that is still going LONG after my dads 2000 plate PUG 406 hdi. Again the cheaper choice outlasted the more expensive!

It does not always work out that the more expensive option is any better in the long run.

Edited by Lord Geordie

thats odd! My old man bought a cheapo test meter and other stuff like Signal generator etc after coming out of the RAF as a radar and radio tech. That was in the late 60s and it's still going now! I don't think he will live another 50 years so it lasting twice as long is kinda fruitless!

I have a 1995 cavalier that is still going LONG after my dads 2000 plate PUG 406 hdi. Again the cheaper choice outlasted the more expensive!

It does not always work out that the more expensive option is any better in the long run.

I'd like to see how far out of calibration they are. Compareing a cavalier with a French made pug is like comparing a old bentley with a lada

I'd like to see how far out of calibration they are. Compareing a cavalier with a French made pug is like comparing a old bentley with a lada

Not that far actually my grandad checked my rapitest one against his avo and other bits. not bad he said lol . If I was working with one every day an I could write it off yes I would get an expensive one but to test a battery and maybe a few odd jobs. I think not.

The test meter is still within acceptable tolerance,.and he uses it to this day. He will not buy another. I was trying to point out that the claim of expensive lasts longer is bunkum.

As for the Cav - Pug, Again the Pug cost more than the cav but my cav is still gping long after dads pug. Again more expensive didn't make it more likely to last longer. :)