Ft/lb with different pellets (with moderator added)

steve_b_wales

After doing some tests yesterday to establish the ft/lb output with my S410 FACC, I wanted to see what difference, if any, a moderator would make.

My S410 is an older model and has a shrouded barrel, which makes not difference to the shot sound at all (not that it's loud anyway) I attached a screw threaded slip on adaptor, and attached my SAK moderator. I was pleasantly surprised at the results.

First, I fired a string of three shots using AirArms Diabolo pellets and got a reading of 32.96 ft/lb, against 32.48 without a mod' fitted. So not a lot of difference there.

Then I fired three shots using Accupel pellets and got a reading of 29.50 (with mod') against 28.12 without.

Again, not much difference.

Finally, I tried the Bisley Magnums and had a reading of 36.61 (with mod) against 33.62 without one. So a slight increase there.

These readings are an average of the three shots taken, and the pressure in my rifle was showing 150 bar. I was advised to keep the pressure no higher than 180 bar.

Now I have to re-zero the scope again, probably using the AirArms Diabolo pellets and hope they are accurate in my rifle. Before all the testing, I used Accupel on the advice of my good mate BulletBoy, and these were very accurate in my rifle. Hopefully, I can zero the scope soon, before I go back to work.

Steve, have a play on chargun. You might find the stability with the AA Diablo at 32 ftlbs a bit borderline on accuracy. Looking at your figures, the bisley Magnums are obviously producing the best power, and from my experience, the poundage your getting is perfect for them. Even at 27ft lbs on my lower setting, I find its too much for the diablos. I know all barrels are different, but I wouldn't mid betting that with all that puff, the mags will be the most accurate :good:

Steve, have a play on chargun. You might find the stability with the AA Diablo at 32 ftlbs a bit borderline on accuracy. Looking at your figures, the bisley Magnums are obviously producing the best power, and from my experience, the poundage your getting is perfect for them. Even at 27ft lbs on my lower setting, I find its too much for the diablos. I know all barrels are different, but I wouldn't mid betting that with all that puff, the mags will be the most accurate :good:

That's what I was thinking. When I bought the rifle second hand, about 2 years ago, I did'nt think about testing the power through my chronograph, and used it with Accupels, as they seemed to be the best suited for the rifle. Recently, after trying to shoot Crows with it, and noticing that something was not right, I put it through the chrono' and found it pushing out an average of 19 ft/lbs. After taking it to the Air Arms engineer, he sorted it out and it's a lot better. Once I get chance to zero the scope, I'll see what is best, but hope the Magnum's will come out on top.

Steve.

I found accupels great in my sub 12. The accuppels are 14 grain and are good in the sub 12 as they are lighter than most at 16 grain. Therefore the trajectory is flatter. But in FAC, they are way too light and therefore unstable imho. Some FAC air owners seem to do ok with the 16 grain at the lower levels, 25 ftlbs. I have tried a bit of everything, inc jsb 18grn and have found the bis mags clinically accurate in both the lower setting of 27 ftlbs and the higher setting of 36 ft lbs. Some say the skirts get blown out which is what causes the inaccuracy. If you look at the two pellets the bis mag is way more substantial. I would probably agree. The trajectory will probably be similar, diablos at 32 and bis mags at 36. However, when it arrives, that extra weight is devastating :yes:

When you get out and try them on paper, pop the results back here would you, it will be interesting to see the different groupings. :yes:

I found accupels great in my sub 12. The accuppels are 14 grain and are good in the sub 12 as they are lighter than most at 16 grain. Therefore the trajectory is flatter. But in FAC, they are way too light and therefore unstable imho. Some FAC air owners seem to do ok with the 16 grain at the lower levels, 25 ftlbs. I have tried a bit of everything, inc jsb 18grn and have found the bis mags clinically accurate in both the lower setting of 27 ftlbs and the higher setting of 36 ft lbs. Some say the skirts get blown out which is what causes the inaccuracy. If you look at the two pellets the bis mag is way more substantial. I would probably agree. The trajectory will probably be similar, diablos at 32 and bis mags at 36. However, when it arrives, that extra weight is devastating :yes:

When you get out and try them on paper, pop the results back here would you, it will be interesting to see the different groupings. :yes:

Yes, it will be good to see the results. It will be typical if the Bisley Mag's work out the best, as I've only got a few left, and over 600 Diabolos and around 150 Accupels!

I'll try and get out before Friday.

After doing some tests yesterday to establish the ft/lb output with my S410 FACC, I wanted to see what difference, if any, a moderator would make.

My S410 is an older model and has a shrouded barrel, which makes not difference to the shot sound at all (not that it's loud anyway) I attached a screw threaded slip on adaptor, and attached my SAK moderator. I was pleasantly surprised at the results.

First, I fired a string of three shots using AirArms Diabolo pellets and got a reading of 32.96 ft/lb, against 32.48 without a mod' fitted. So not a lot of difference there.

Then I fired three shots using Accupel pellets and got a reading of 29.50 (with mod') against 28.12 without.

Again, not much difference.

Finally, I tried the Bisley Magnums and had a reading of 36.61 (with mod) against 33.62 without one. So a slight increase there.

These readings are an average of the three shots taken, and the pressure in my rifle was showing 150 bar. I was advised to keep the pressure no higher than 180 bar.

Now I have to re-zero the scope again, probably using the AirArms Diabolo pellets and hope they are accurate in my rifle. Before all the testing, I used Accupel on the advice of my good mate BulletBoy, and these were very accurate in my rifle. Hopefully, I can zero the scope soon, before I go back to work.

Could be that with the mod' it's effectively increasing the length of the barrel/usable air and hence increasing the speed of the pellet. Unusual though.