Had my FEO interview today

spandit

Went fairly well, I think. I'd cheekily asked for a .243 and it looks likely they'll grant it, albeit with a mentoring condition. Now, I know BASC are opposed to any conditions but I feel this one is fair enough.

However, I asked my mate (one of my referees) to mentor me, which he was fine with. He sent an email off to the FEO and forwarded the reply - looks like they're asking for mentoring for rimfire too, which I'm less thrilled about. At least I wasn't swayed when he suggested FAC air but he also implied I'd need to shoot from a high seat for all calibres.

It's a start and not a "no", which is the main thing. He was happy with cabinet anyway (didn't try to pull it off the wall - in fact, he asked if it was bolted to the wall or just held there by weight alone) and did mention any legal quarry so the magpies' days are limited...

Sounds a bit strange, I wouldn't accept that unless you are shooting on a flat postage stamp bit of land!

I've heard this "wouldn't accept" before but how do I go about it? The land is 10 acres & gently to medium sloped (you wouldn't want to cycle up it) and I was intending on doing most of my shooting prone - he reckoned with a natural upright stance I'd be in danger of shooting over the boundary...

Obviously without seeing the land it's difficult to comment but if the land is sloping then it should provide either a hill backstop or being able to shoot into the floor from the top.

Do you have any experience of using firearms, if so then I would feel that the rimfire mentoring is unnecessary and overkill. If you have no experience then have a few trips with your mate and get him to write you a letter to say you are safe. You seem happy enough with the CF mentoring condition.

I would join BASC, SACS etc and see what they say. Most of these decisions are made by people with an agenda and not a clue of firearms.

Problem now is that my mate doesn't yet have an open licence and they'd like him to, despite clearing my land. He said "fair enough, give me an open licence then, I've been shooting for some time" and they said "no". At least the FEO wants me to have a licence but finding another mentor is going to be problematic

I don’t understand this. Why does your mentor have to have an open ticket? All he should be there for is to tag along and make sure that you don’t shoot in a dangerous manner and endanger the general public. For this he should not need to carry a weapon as he should be concentrating on what you are doing. If he is looking over your shoulder he doesn’t have to bring his weapon onto your land as you will be using your own weapon on the land that it has been cleared for.

This mentoring condition is a load of rubbish. Who is a mentor? What qalification has anyone got to act as a mentor? How long do you have to have a mentor for? What liability does the mentor carry if there is an accident? Where in any law does this mythical mentor exist.

People bang on about ask basc about this but where is basc in this thread? I don’t see them rushing onto this thread and asking you for the details of this case so that they can take the police to task over this unjustified bending of the law and making it up as they go along.