Gun Care

Cyber

Hello, after i been out in the field i use a clean cloth to wipe down then go over with a birchwood casey gun and reel silicone cloth that polishes cleans and removes finger prints everytime then leaves a protection film on the metal, wood, etc... just remember to keep after using the cloth to keep in sealed bag and after a while go get a new one, cost around 4-5 pounds theres different companys that make these cloths, can buy in gun shop or local fishing tackle hope this helps you out.

Think mines called abbey or something its basically 3 in 1 though and i use wipe it on with a clean rag everywhere and it protects and enhances the finish

For the insides i found an oil at a local mechanical engineering firm which is fantastic called metalec or something for fine mechanisms and is great at pentrating does a fine job on the insides of a gun and great for keeping rust off and is fine enough not to interfere with anything

well ive just noticed that it wasn't actually wd40 that i had but 3 in 1. I have got the spray version though but never spray directly onto the cloth. like i said in my 1st post, someone told me that using WD40 can take the bluing off of the barrel which is baaaaad!!! :lol:

Thanks for all your replies, they have really helped.

Another question relating to gun care (sorry) is how often do you take your guns for services? I'ts the first time i have a really expensive rifle (see my sig) and i really want to take care of it :lol:

Thanks again :lol:

Never!!

My shotgun is around 27 years old i think now its a browning double automatic which my dad bought and i bought it off him. Gun works as good as the day it was bought and is still in great nick. Which is a testemant to the handmade belgian brownings.

The other day after having the gun out all day in bad weather was stripped completely down to its component parts everything cleaned and oiled and put back also reblued all outer metalwork as the barrel wasnt rusting but getting there.... gun now looks brill nice and shiny again still works flawless

I cant see the point in getting a service must be an english thing once you look after it and oil it every time you use it the finish should last a good number of years as for the internals shouldnt have to touch them for a few years if you want to go at them drop the stock off wipe everything down oil with some quaility stuff wipe all excess off put it back together and bobs your uncle nothing to rifles at all.

Main thing is keeping the water away from it but even new guns wont be bothered by this much. If gun gets wet leave it next to the aga overnight or radiator or immersion whatever you have give it a good drying off oil it and store it.

Can someone explain what a service will do?

Thanks psittacosis, like i said, i have never owned an expensive rifle so have never been too bothered about taking care of it internally. not that i din't clean it, i do that every time i use it and then some!

But thanks, i didn't know if you had to regularly service the rifle or not as i wouldn't have a clue how to strip mine and change the o rings etc!!!

Thanks psittacosis, like i said, i have never owned an expensive rifle so have never been too bothered about taking care of it internally. not that i din't clean it, i do that every time i use it and then some!

But thanks, i didn't know if you had to regularly service the rifle or not as i wouldn't have a clue how to strip mine and change the o rings etc!!!

:lol: be careful using 3-in-1 oils & suchlike, some of them will destroy any rubber seals very quickly (including wd40). best to use a good quality oil such as napier or logun, other good ones are available at very reasonable prices. always good to wipe the entire gun with an oily rag, especially after use in bad weather (leaving a thin oily coating helps to prevent water damage/rust :lol: ), use a shoelace with a little oil for inside the barrel (tie some thinner string to one end to make it easier to pull through, fold lace if neccessary). another way to clean the bore is to use cigarrette filters (minus the paper coat), add a drop of oil to these & fire away! (you may want to remove your silencer before you do this one :lol: ).

don't worry too much about how much it cost you, ok, a more expensive one adds incentive, but if you look after even a cheap weapon it could last you years :good::lol:

i just use silicone spray directly on the gun including stock then wipe it over with a clean dry cloth. i use it on my gun with a wooden stock and my realtree super ten mk 2. dont know if this will harm it but it shouldnt damge the rubber seals, all seems to be working fine so far look nice after any way.

I use a spray oil made by napier. It's a general gun cleaner and lubricant, which also has VP90 in it (VP90 is a vapour release corrosion inhibitor, even the bit's you can't reach get protected). Just spray it on a cloth and rub the gun (metal bits, don't oil the stock) over with it before it's put away :lol:

Hi everyone, I was just wandering what you all used to clean your rifles and prevent rust etc. Someone told me that WD40 can remove the bluing and thats the last thing i want when ive just spent hundreds on a new rifle!!

Thanks in advance :good:

I bought a tin of power airgun oil (spray type) about the same size as a small can of wd40 but 8 times dearer at £8 a go, you could try that i suppose, unless someone knows of a like type but cheaper ?

• 3 weeks later...