410 pheasant

matt101

Good going there mate, i love my .410. Can be surprised how far the little thing can actually shoot and kill, took a magpie with it the other day at 25 odd yrds, was impressed.

Alex

:good:

yeah this one's growing on me, ive not had it very long and i dont think ill be getting rid of it for quite a while. when we were shooting the pigeons the farthest one i shot must have been about 30 yards away and i was very pleased. The two pheasant were shot about 20 yards away after they broke from a hedge with a stream running through it.

I was using 2 3/4 inch cartridges in no.6 shot and nearly all kills were clean.

matt

when we went to the farm we never intended to do any game shooting. It was purely vermin control but then a nearby pheasant shoot flushed a fair few birds over us and into a nearby hedge, we thought we might aswell take the oppertunity. All birds were taken at no more than 20 yards so it wasnt as if we attempting to take them at the same ranges as 12 bore 'game' guns. If we decide to pursue any pheasant before leaving the house i will without a doubt take the 12bore with me.

The pheasant were dead in the air , no need for a humane dispatch atall

cheers

matt

when we went to the farm we never intended to do any game shooting. It was purely vermin control but then a nearby pheasant shoot flushed a fair few birds over us and into a nearby hedge, we thought we might aswell take the oppertunity. All birds were taken at no more than 20 yards so it wasnt as if we attempting to take them at the same ranges as 12 bore 'game' guns. If we decide to pursue any pheasant before leaving the house i will without a doubt take the 12bore with me.

The pheasant were dead in the air , no need for a humane dispatch atall

cheers

matt

you want to be very careful doing that unless you are 100% sure you won't get kicked off your permission. It has been known for the keeper whose birds they are to get the right hump at you shooting them and if he gets on ok with the landowner whose land you are on you could get problems. Obviously theres no legal implications as they aren't his birds once they are off his land but some Keepers don't see it like that!

On another note I've been on big game shoots and seen some very good shots using .410's to devastating effect, as there is less lead and they are tight choked they do seem to either Kill or miss altogether.