Oiling... a simple question

DirtyDeeds

There is much said about if you over oil a gun to stand it on it's muzzle to make sure that no oil drips into the stock, softening the wood, etc. Great - wether I over oil it or not, I still think this is a wise precaution.

BUT... What about the fore-end? won't any oil on the ejectors, etc. (or any other part, if there's that much oil!) run into this and ruin it? Do most of you that store muzzle down just unclip the fore-end?

Ta!

Steve

Is there any need to drown a gun in oil now VP90 is with us? I store mine almost dry :good:

VP90 is a used to absorb atmosperic moisture; no, there's no need to drown it in oil. I'm concerned about....

i take the fore end off, oil does run on to it from teh ejectors and soak in to it.

VP90is good stuff, though - if the gun doesn't get damp, i guese it won't wash the oil away.

Thanks for the advice.

If you run a dry patch though the gun after the oiled patch it should remove the excess oil. I have never met anyone having problems with oil running into the action, it sounds like an urban myth to me. I always store the guns barrel up with a rag resting over the tops of the barrels to stop dust drifting into them, storing barrel down seems like an invitation to get foreign objects wedged in the end of the barrel.

Pat

or ,,,,, dry lube an no oil gets anywhere anytime :good::good::no:

as to storing the gun muzzle down, i see absolutly no advantage at all, the only thing you could do is damage the muzzle itself if your not careful, take a look in any gunshop see how many guns they store upside down, not practicle is it, take care of your guns properly and you wont need to store for fear of drowning in oil.

just my opinion

Martin