My Bolt Holder

tonker

First of all I'd like to thank spandit for stirring the old grey matter, I decided after seeing his bolt holder to get the old tools out and have a play. Took me more than an hour up in the loft moving stuff about before I found my tools,but once I had I've enjoyed the last few hours.

This is my effort with thick veg tan leather I had left over from when I used to make things(years ago)

post-64160-0-68082200-1384957839_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-04540400-1384957901_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-65639200-1384957948_thumb.jpg

Stitching leaves a bit to be desired, but then it's the first time I've done any for years and it is only for me :):whistling:

Edited by tonker

humperdingle,

What I did was use a spiked wheel to mark the stich holes.

Then bradalled (spelling ?) the holes out,then folded it in half and stuck my bradal through the best two matching holes nearest the bottom fold, and that is where I started the stitching.

As luck would have it it worked out just right and everything lined up, but that was more luck than judgement.

If I make any more I'll pay a bit more attention to that. Here.s A couple more pics.

post-64160-0-59471800-1384963646_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-96023700-1384963692_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-99759900-1384963730_thumb.jpg

Oscar@A1

Hi Bud, Yes it is done by hand, First you would trace your given subject onto tracing paper, then soak your leather and retrace image onto the leather with a modeling tool.(pointy thing)

Then cut the leather over the lines with a special knife, then use a beveling tool and a mallet to crush the leather to one side or other to get the shadowing you want.

There are loads of different tools you can use to get different effects, but on this one I just used the beveller and mallet. Hope that didn't bore you to much, but couldn't work out if you were being polite, or wanted to know how it was done.

I used to do a leather stall at a market years ago.

Cheers

Steve :)

Edited by tonker