Brown barrels

bigman

Got a old side by side here that's got brownish barrels where the bluing has worn off over the years of use it's only a cheaply and it doesn't bother me as I like a bit of aged look to things but can't help wondering what effect it'd have if I took the buffing wheel an compound to it on my bench grinder, it's one of them stitched cotton wheel jobbies,

Iv have tried plenty of wire wool an oil and plenty of elbow grease but I can't seem to shift it

I have an old air gun barrel that has been "browned" from surface rust build up over years, I to took tin foil and steel wool and what not to it but it only polished the rust a bit. If you want i will put it on my buffing wheel and see what it does but i don't expect it would do much especially since i don't have any specific compound or anything.

Some old side by sides did have browned barrels instead of blued ones. Are you sure it's not meant to be brown? Can you put a picture up?

It's defo nit a browned barrel as there's still plenty of bluing showing along with patches of brown where the bluing as thinned