Dog fleas !! Help needed !!!

John-12

Dog fleas...... Can someone give some advice please on dog fleas....!! I have a 2 year old cocker and in the last mouth or so she got fleas. Not sure were she got them from or how... Give her the course of treatment (3 mouth one) and it cleared up for a few days.... Keeped her away from other dogs and all was well... However she has got them again for the 2nd time in 2 weeks ! We also de fleaed the dogs bed and all the house... Washed the dogs bedding, hovered the house.... Any advice please on keeping them at bay..... I don't want to treat the dog again and over dose her !!!

Many thanks John

I have just used 4fleas by johnsons easy spot on and the same in tablet form...

Just give her the treatment tonight when I spotted the fleas.

I will see how it goes over the next few days.... To see if it clears up again as I am sure it will

The thing that I don't really understand is why and how she got them again !!!!!

John

Pupae in your carpets! They hatch out almost instantly from vibrations or even CO2 from a passing animal:

PUPA (plural = pupae): The pupa is the last stage before adult. The adult flea can emerge from the cocoon as early as 3 to 5 days, or it can stay in the cocoon for a year or more, waiting for the right time to emerge. When is the right time? (Never, say pet lovers everywhere!) Stimuli such as warm ambient temperatures, high humidity, even the vibrations and carbon dioxide emitted from a passing animal will cause the flea to emerge from the cocoon.

They then hop onto your pet, and start breeding all over again.

A sticky trap with a light bulb is also a great help, left on the floor overnight - check the 'Bay'.

Mike.

I'm having this trouble with my dogs, both been frontlined and within a couple of days they have fleas again !!!! I've been told the best treatment is ADVOCATE Which you can only get from the vets or online (much cheaper) with a pet prescription. Apparently fleas build up a tolerance to "normal" frontline/bob Martin spot on treatments, so need a super strength treatment.

You need a better flea control , as already mentioned frontline spot on is good as is the Advantage one .

I use bestpet pharmacy for flea control and wormers , much cheaper than the vets .

Also get a fumigator or spray for the house .

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk%2F&ei=a2qaUtm-KZGw7AbW14G4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHk39Wig7wts4ndl_nZuUjiHFqNrQ&bvm=bv.57155469,d.ZGU

Once you have fleas it's not particularly effective just treating the dog. You need to treat the environment properly with a spray - to do it properly you need to vacuum first, move furniture around and make sure you treat EVERYWHERE the dog goes. Places to pay particular attention include the car, the gap between carpet and skirting boards and making sure you pull the cushions off the sofa. I'd had people report failures with environmental treatment, but only when done in a half ***** way! You can pay the council or private contractors to come in and do it for you for a reasonable fee (think one client - old lady paid £60).

You then need to use a decent effective product against fleas. Permethrin based products would never be my choice.

Fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline and Frontline Combo) has no known resistance. Beware that the product has an excitatory effect on fleas and can mean they are more visible and active after treatment - especially if the animal keeps becoming re-infected. The advantage of the Frontline Combo over the Frontline is that it also contains an insect growth regulator that stops the flea eggs hatching and re-contaminating the environment.

Advocate also safe and effective (kills fleas by paralysis so you may perceive that it is doing better than the fipronil based products).

Treat all animals in the house (that includes cats) at the same time, and all year round. Using something like the Frontline Combo every 6-8 weeks will prevent you getting an infestation in the first place.

The cheap pet shop permethrin products are a false economy (and also very toxic to cats).