Hunting with a slingshot?

Mr Majyk

Love using a catapult, we had some great places round my way when I was younger, best time t practice with a catty is when there's young rabbits about , if you've any rough ground about yours like heaths or old quarries that not many people walk around they are great for bush work , I use to use a jack Russell for bushing and just stand looking into the bushes or nettles for bunnies creeping out. It's always best to not be to noisy when bushing rabbits with a catty as you don't want them to bolt , rabbits think they are reasonably safe in bushes so if you don't spook them to much they will let you get pretty close . I've shot many rabbits with a catty with 90% of them being within 10yards. Knocking pheasents out of trees with a catty is great fun too ( apparently ), but don't get caught. Lol

Pheasants can easily be taken on the ground too, as hen pheasants tend to duck low to the floor when they feel threated, rather than lift which the cock birds seem to do more readily. I had an opportunity to take one yesterday, and would have apart from the fact I couldn't tell it was a pheasant (it was crouching low) and didn't want to risk hitting a bird of prey.

Edited by Richard Day

Pheasants can easily be taken on the ground too, as hen pheasants tend to duck low to the floor when they feel threated, rather than lift which the cock birds seem to do more readily. I had an opportunity to take one yesterday, and would have apart from the fact I couldn't tell it was a pheasant (it was crouching low) and didn't want to risk hitting a bird of prey.

Thought the season was closed regards hunting pheasant ... not sure of the legality regards hunting with a "sling shot" .. so no comment to add ... l know if l saw people killing pheasant with a sling shot, post 1st Feb, on the farms l shoot, l would enquire further regards the legal standing. And if it was illegal ? ... l'd report them to the most appropriate person/s ...

Would be interesting to know if these people hold a SGC/FAC ...

"Yesterday" that being the 11th of february then???

Do you not know such thing as a game season exits?

Are you not aware what the dates are?

Do you know what game is?

Or are you just not bothered/ poacher?

Love using a catapult, we had some great places round my way when I was younger, best time t practice with a catty is when there's young rabbits about , if you've any rough ground about yours like heaths or old quarries that not many people walk around they are great for bush work , I use to use a jack Russell for bushing and just stand looking into the bushes or nettles for bunnies creeping out. It's always best to not be to noisy when bushing rabbits with a catty as you don't want them to bolt , rabbits think they are reasonably safe in bushes so if you don't spook them to much they will let you get pretty close . I've shot many rabbits with a catty with 90% of them being within 10yards. Knocking pheasents out of trees with a catty is great fun too ( apparently ), but don't get caught. Lol

You guys should start on deer next, and perhaps duck and geese inland using bread, and perhaps even swans.

Or try reading the law and respecting the seasons and the quarry.

You're both absolutely right about the season guys; being the first time out shooting this year, I completely forget that the pheasant season had ended 11 days previously-knuckles duly rapped! I was actually out with the rifle on a new permission when I saw the pheasant. Luckily, as mentioned above, I didn't take a shot. Although this thread is about hunting with catapults, I only hunt with my trusty HW35, having access to 150 acres of bunny-blessed farmland.

You guys should start on deer next, and perhaps duck and geese inland using bread, and perhaps even swans.

Or try reading the law and respecting the seasons and the quarry.

in regards to my catapult days It was 20 odd years ago when I was a kid,and when ave I ever said that I've shot anything out of season , get your facts right you absolute PLANK.

in regards to my catapult days It was 20 odd years ago when I was a kid,and when ave I ever said that I've shot anything out of season , get your facts right you absolute PLANK.

When you say stuff like. "Knocking pheasents out of trees with a catty is great fun too ( apparently ), BUT DON'T GET CAUGHT. Lol"

Makes you sound like a poacher or at the very least condoning poaching on an open forum???

Who's the "plank"?!

When you say stuff like. "Knocking pheasents out of trees with a catty is great fun too ( apparently ), BUT DON'T GET CAUGHT. Lol"

Makes you sound like a poacher or at the very least condoning poaching on an open forum???

Who's the "plank"?!

yes I have poached the odd rabbit and pheasant, because I was a young lad brought up in the country side with not much else to do. In fact one of my close friends who is now a gamekeeper use to do it with me. And we use to get caught get a clip round the ear and then we'd do it again. We were boys and that's what we done. Now we are adults we can look back and laugh . Have you never had a childhood my friend

Yes i have and have also done things i shouldnt but i would never condone and therefore coerce another to do the same, not this day and age and least of all on an open forum!

Hardly the advice needed for young shots!

And definitely not the right impression to give as far as the antis are concerned!

Think before you speak (type) me thinks!!!

Edited by carpentermark

Yes i have and have also done things i shouldnt but i would never condone and therefore coerce another to do the same, not this day and age and least of all on an open forum!

Hardly the advice needed for young shots!

And definitely not the right impression to give as far as the antis are concerned!

Think before you speak (type) me thinks!!!

mate antis don't care if your legal or not. The fact that your killing stuff is enough for them to twist anything. I weren't telling anyone to poach anything , it was all tongue and cheek.