Eley Lightning Steel

stalker58

The patterns with my xtrema were terrible with steel and half choke at 50 yards. That's why i've gone down the aftermarket route. I put any size through my briley IM. Killed a pink on Saturday with a BB/T load. I would much rather have too tight a choke than too open.

Hi..I was shooting 1/4 choke with my Maxus with steel and couldn't touch a bird!..when I patterned it at 30yds on a 4ft board you could have got a ostrich through the pattern...I think it is because the maxus is over bored .742 not standard 12 gauge .729 and I think thats why it patterns better choked tighter...I maybe wrong!!

I have patterned my SX3 with all my usual steel loads and found that 1/4 choke seems the best pattern, apart from the 42gram gamebore bb's and that does respond well to a bit more and if going out expecting geese i will change to 1/2. Shots to kill on the foreshore this year are ok at 23 for 9 so will stick with the quarter, but it really is each to there own as all guns seem to pattern differently especially with steel.