Any homebrewers (wine) on here?

junctiontwo

When a wine ferments, it converts the sugar in the mixture to alcohol and carbon dioxide. The yeast is inhibited from producing more alcohol by its intolerance which effectively shuts it down at between 5 and 7% alcohol by volume. Just add more sugar until it stops fermenting and then more to get it to the required taste - filter after, Not before.

Edited by Kes

When a wine ferments, it converts the sugar in the mixture to alcohol and carbon dioxide. The yeast is inhibited from producing more alcohol by its intolerance which effectively shuts it down at between 5 and 7% alcohol by volume. Just add more sugar until it stops fermenting and then more to get it to the required taste - filter after, Not before.

Thanks Kes....

not quite true as it will take ages to do that and you will have a very bad brew....and your percentage is quite out...some depends on the yeast but most bew out at 10-15% actually....

best way is to brew it out (when the airlock stops) and take a hydrometer reading...should be about 990-1005 ..then add potassium sorbate to stop it and then back sweeten with sugar disolved is as little water as you can after it has cooled

Thanks Leeds but in the wines I brew the final alcohol is a stated - perhaps a less alcohol tolerant yeast. I have found the secondary fermentation adds to the flavour a little and after adding sugar to taste and filtering, little additional fermentation takes place. Just the way I do it.

Thanks Leeds but in the wines I brew the final alcohol is a stated - perhaps a less alcohol tolerant yeast. I have found the secondary fermentation adds to the flavour a little and after adding sugar to taste and filtering, little additional fermentation takes place. Just the way I do it.

personally would not call that wine then...more a fruit "cider" in that case....

do you do kits or fresh?

Do you take hydrometer reading at all?

I have no need to usually - the type of yeast dictates the end of the fermentation process - I taste it 'raw,' decide how I want it, add sugar or just filter and bottle it.

Doesnt make your eyes fall out after a bottle !

Elderflower is especially pleasant - quite easy to add a bit of fizz by adding a small amount of sugar when bottling - never had one blow.

I have no need to usually - the type of yeast dictates the end of the fermentation process - I taste it 'raw,' decide how I want it, add sugar or just filter and bottle it.

Doesnt make your eyes fall out after a bottle !

Elderflower is especially pleasant - quite easy to add a bit of fizz by adding a small amount of sugar when bottling - never had one blow.

what type of yeast do you use then as most can go to 10-15% depending on the sugar content of the brew....