Impact Tungsten Matrix

I'm looking for some information on ITM shot.

I was given a box of 32/5 ITM in 12 gauge some time ago and only use a few a year but don't have any non tox for my 20 gauge so was wondering if I could strip the shot out of some of the 12 gauge cartridges and use lead data to reload it into 20 gauge.

I just opened up a shell to see what it was like and was surprised to find the supposedly size 5 ITM pellets were quite out of round measuring between 3.1 and 3.5mm making them actually something between 3 and 4 in size and there were only around 175 in a 32 gram load.

The most surprising find was when I took one of my homemade no5 pellets and squeezed it hard in some pin nosed pliers and hardly anything happened but the same thing done to an ITM pellet saw it squashed flat quite easily so they seem much softer than normal lead pellets but nevertheless seem to have been loaded in a thick full length multimetal wad with no compression part.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks for the reply Alan. I just found some info on the old claygame CD. Apparently because it is a tungsten plastic mix it needs a very slow powder to stop the stuff compressing as it travels up the barrel or you get poor patterns and it needs the full thick shot cup because the tungsten powder is abrasive.

In short too much bother for the half a dozen I was looking for.

PS, Have you found those little brown things in your shed yet ;)

Guest cookoff013

Reload niceshot. Its an equivalent to lead and uses lead data. When weighing the shot. You'll notice its about the same density as very high antimony lead. As for this gives a 1500psi increase, that most likely has been done with weighed shot. When dispensing from a shot bar will

L drop light. It doesn't help with your original enquery.

I have heard stateside that 24 grams work well in 12 and 20 gauge. Hardly the classic 32g loads of yesterdecade