using crow decoys?

young airgunner

hi there, i have just got 3 grow decoys and was wondering what is the best way to put them too use. i have a camo net and know how to make a hide, i was just wondering how i should position them etc. any helpful hints or tips are very much appreciated. by the way, i will be using a airgun

cheers james

I'm no expert on this but from what ive read your best bet is to arrange them facing in the same direction and into the wind/breeze. Get a previously shot rabbit and lay it on it's back so that the white belly fur is showing and arrange as though one of the birds is eating, or if you want cut the belly open. This works best under common flight paths of the birds or near popular perching spots.

not really sure to be honest but I think it must be to do with incoming birds checking out the area.....maybe checking what the other 'birds' on the ground are spotting I suppose. If/when you get some more crow decoys, a good idea would be to put one on a fence post or loft in low branches of a nearby tree, again not directly facing the hide. It makes them a little less weary when incoming as they think there is already a sentry bird covering the area.

well for me 35 yards out and any old how, me and my mate where out last weekend and

he put the 6 crow deeks out in the dark and when we got set up and looking out of the hide

he put them in two rows off three and and the crows still landed in them and he shot more than me.

By the way when we shoot with the air rifles we use one of those pop up hides and stay nice and

dry and shoot through the windows--brill :lol:

If/when you get some more crow decoys, a good idea would be to put one on a fence post or loft in low branches of a nearby tree, again not dirctly facing the hide. It makes them a little less weary when incoming as they think there is already a sentry bird covering the area.

That is a brilliant idea.

I am going to have to try it tomorrow :lol:

If you have a airgun go for 25-30yds because to hit a bobbing head is guite hard at 35+yds

Or if you have a shotgun and know how to use it use the dead rabbit,guts technigue, and this is how it is done.

Lay out a wabbit with its stomach slit to reveal the innards, put this around 30yds away, now spread decoys around it some 5yds close to it and some 10yds close to it. in random possitions 4-6 decoys should be best.

This method is quite good but you need good concearment, you might think pigeons are hard sometimes think again.

This method serves both shotgun and airgun shooting it's all about the range.

I have allways been told to put the crow decoys out in odd numbers, 1 or 3 or 5. suposed to be more inviting to other crows if it dont look like all the crows on the ground are paired up. :lol: not sure if it makes mutch differanec but it might be worth trying of you are struggling bringing the crows in or if the crows are flying around in 1s.

Kipper :P

Well yesterdays venture proved to be a pile of poo :lol:

I put the deeks out with the bait and settled down. The crows circled, made a lot of noise and then ******** off again to a sitty tree half a field away. :lol:

The only success of the morning was a single pigeon that fell into a drainage ditch that was filled with stagnant run off from the slurry pit. Not even I would have eaten that :lol:

First time out this year and it was a bit of a ******* muddle, still there is always next time :good:

Well yesterdays venture proved to be a pile of poo :lol:

I put the deeks out with the bait and settled down. The crows circled, made a lot of noise and then ******** off again to a sitty tree half a field away. :lol:

Now if you had a shottie Snakey :lol::good::lol::lol: :o

I would have had to have moved from the prone position that I was in (ghillie suit but no hide) and scared them off before I was able to take a shot. Having possibly got one or two shots off I would have had to reload and shoulder the gun just in time to watch them sail off into the distance!

I think the failiure was due to the area I was lying up in. Not enough cover and the spotted me, or rather spotted somthing different and that unsettled them.

I waited for another 30-45 minutes and they never returned so a shottie might have got me a maximum of 2 but it wouldn't have been an ideal solution with what I had to work with.

I would have had to have moved from the prone position that I was in (ghillie suit but no hide) and scared them off before I was able to take a shot. Having possibly got one or two shots off I would have had to reload and shoulder the gun just in time to watch them sail off into the distance!

I have very good success from just standing fully cammed up with my back to a hedge over decs ( so your ghillie suite may well do )waiting for the right moment to let loose a volly of shots :good:

And 3 shots may have ended up with 3 crows which would have been a bit more of a result eh!!! :lol:

Snakebite, at lease you have gotten out this year. The weather is so bad here I can't get out to shoot in the fields.

Think back to your hide. This may be why the bird stayed up and didn't come down. They can see you really easy if they are high. I have use the technique of setting out a Perigin falcone decoy with a dead bird on it back below it. I shot a view bird, 12g, but they came in high and stayed high and I noted they saw any movement at all. some time when I didn't move they still seen me.

I didn't have a good roof cover on the hide. This is where the pop ups score.