Spaniel Protection

Crazycocker

Hi all this is my first post after been a member a while. I'm currently having some issues with my 2 year old cooker and his skin. Last time time we went beating he came back with pustules all over him and developed a scabby infection on his hind leg this is know healed but left a bald patch we are both eager to get back out there and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for protection of legs or body. He has got a fairly thin coat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Black Thorn can be quite nasty also.... I have seen dog coats that also include leg coverage, leaving the belly free for the dog to pee etc but i would think this would make your dog hot and also very likely to get caught on the brash....

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/15453400209261633909?q=full+body+dog+coats&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.58187178,d.bGQ,pv.xjs.s.en_US.EeLgqkzqnSg.O&biw=1024&bih=672&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vLHNUvGuG8n-ygOIsYH4Aw.1389212092587.5&ei=FbLNUoi_DtLxhQev04DoCw&ved=0CHQQqSswAQ

Ben

My dog can have scabby patches and blisters. I've been to the vet allot about it and I'm still not sure what causes it. Low allergy food is a must (chappies is cheap and dairy and egg free recommended to me and seems ok). It's also triggered in part by my dog comming on heat so hormones play a role. I've tried medicated shampoo also making sure she doesn't have fleas mites etc.....

Anyway it's not so bad these days just the odd flare up but manageable compared to how it was. Stresses and being run down also play a role I think

The vet say she may well grow out of it altogether ???

Not sure if this is a help but it may not be brambles etc??!!

My initial gut feeling would be to shampoo the dog in a medicated shampoo (from your vet) when you get home from working. Some dogs with sensitive skin can badly over-react to small scratches or just mud and wet. Rinse well and dry the dog thoroughly.

Anti-histamines rarely do any good.

If the problem persists then get her checked by the vet as there may be more going on. (Or invite the vet onto the shoot ;))

Good luck

One of my cockers has had the same reaction an antihistimine tablet clears it up in no time , it could be anything its allergic to and finding out exactly what it is could be time consuming and costly and still not conclusive at the end of it id try the antihistimine route first good luck

My initial gut feeling would be to shampoo the dog in a medicated shampoo (from your vet) when you get home from working. Some dogs with sensitive skin can badly over-react to small scratches or just mud and wet. Rinse well and dry the dog thoroughly.

Anti-histamines rarely do any good.

If the problem persists then get her checked by the vet as there may be more going on. (Or invite the vet onto the shoot ;))

Good luck

Sounds like the best advice, almost like its from a vet, LOL. I go by the rule that if the dogs not bothered neither am I, otherwise with working dogs you'd never be out of the vet. Camrosa ointment has served me well when an unknown skin complaint has flared up.