Eley Grand Prix Steel shot cartridges

I bought two boxes of ELEY Grand Prix Steel shot in 32g No 4's for a duck flight afternoon yesterday. Now I use Eley cartridges for everything, Clays, Vermin and game because I find they kill well as well as having a fairly low recoil and the best bit of all I have always found them to be a clean burning cartridge.

But these Grand Prix Steel are a bit punchy and leave the barrels black and filthy. When I checked the fired cartridges you could see unburnt powder around the crimp. I wonder if I may have just had a dodgy box or this is characteristic of their Steel cartridges, as every other cartridge I have used from them has been brilliant.

Anybody else noticed this?

Cheers

SS :good:

Woah, that's a leading and alltogether different topic. It depends on what you're shooting, shot size, bore of gun, make of gun etc.

Everybody on here will tell you something different. Ultimately the best material is lead in terms of patterning, power at range, deformaty upon impact as well as cost.

In the instance of wildfowling I would say Remington Nitro Steel in 3" or 3.5" Magnums, but thats just my opinion.