questions for my first stalk?

Mr Majyk

Hi All, fingers crossed in the next month or two i'll be getting my first .223 (when I've finished paying for it :lol: ) and when I've got a moderator i'll be hunting round for muntjac stalking in hampshire (i live on the isle of wight so its just across the water) and I'm wondering what do i need? pardon for asking the obviously dumb questions but i don't know where i start? do i need a DSC1 if i were going on a guided stalk? whats a reasonable price to pay? could anyone recommend somewhere/someone? I'm itching to do this! just thinking about it gets me very excited and i don't even have the rifle for it yet :lol: but i don't know whats required :hmm:

If anyone could put me in the right direction and answer a few questions that'd be great ta!

For guided accompanied stalking its very rare you need a level 1. Make sure your cert has either deer or AOLQ listed on it before going though or you are in breech of your fac conditions. If it hasn't make the booking and get a variation on quarry to cover you prior

For guided accompanied stalking its very rare you need a level 1. Make sure your cert has either deer or AOLQ listed on it before going though or you are in breech of your fac conditions. If it hasn't make the booking and get a variation on quarry to cover you prior

Thankyou! i know of the top of my head i don't have deer or AOLQ on my licence. what does require a DSC1? I'm guessing un-accompanied stalks?

At this moment in time you don't NEED a DSC1 it's a voluntary course but it is well worth doing if your serious about deer stalking as it provides a wealth of knowledge with upto date information, best practice & legislation.

Priority would be get your certificate right first, deer or AOLQ, consider your calibre of rifle as a .223 is not normally seen as a "deer" calibre, then have a look at paying for a couple of accompanied stalks, at the end of the day you may not like it and if you do then it can get expensive. If you have a look on - the stalking directory - forum there's plenty of help and advise as well as many professional outfits that could arrange your stalking experience

Best of luck. Wingy

update: I've had "other legal quarry" added to the conditions on my licence, does this mean I'm now ok to go on an accompanied stalk? also a friend has informed me that they can get me a morning or afternoon stalk in hampshire for £120 is this a good price or am I being ripped off?

You need to ask many questions about costs to me £120 for 1 stalk seems expensive.

I would be looking on average £60 - £70 per accompanied stalk for muntjac cull animals

Then costs can increase (which you need to be clear about before you go)

Some charge for the privilege of taking the shot

Decent bucks can carry a hefty fee on top

Hire of estate rifle if shooting anything more than munty or CWD

Cost to buy the carcass if you want it

Cost of any deer shot at, wounded & lost

Tips for your stalker if they provide a good experience

Wingy

you will be fine going on accompanied stalks as their ground would be open to certain calibre which the 223 will be less than that being used on most deer species, 120 pounds seems a tad expensive as that sounds like a daily rate unless the shot fee is in but clarify everything including shot fees and carcass fee.

I know a good guide in norfolk but you will need a sence of humour to survive the day, have a look on sd for stalking in england or google.

all prices are upfront and no hidden costs but with any giude you go with ask and all info should be given,if not walk away there are alot of decent guys out there but there are some horror stories as well.