AT HER WITS END..........

SNAKEBITE

I have just had a coversation with the wife and it seems she wants to get rid of our dog. ???

He is a Jack Russel crossed with a Border Terrier, aged 2 in May. She wanted him as a birthday present so off we went to get him, The wifes cousin has one from the same breeder so we thought we knew what we were getting.

The trouble is that he is VERY dominant and despite getting a dog psychologist he still has not lost his dominance. I think the problem is consistencey as the wife and daughter continue to send out mixed messages despite the advice from the trainer. Training wise he is a very quick and willing learner, you can teach him a lot of things and he picks them up no problem.

The main worry is that we are expecting our second child in May and we are worried that he will go for the baby. Anything left on the floor he has a tendency to "guard" e.g shoes or coat or indeed anything. Any attempt to pick them up can result in him going for us or "ragging" the item involved. A shoe is one thing a baby is another thing all together.

When I am at home I can control him but the thing is the wife will be at home with him and she is worried she will not be able to cope with him and the baby.

The dog comes from working stock and shows great initative although I have never worked him.

If the worst comes to the worst and she decides she wants rid of him I would rather he go to a working home than just take him to the RSPCA.

I am of the opinion that you should never get a dog if you are going to get rid of it, but to be honest I just don't know what to do.

How am I going to be able to trust him 100% with the baby? There is going to be no second chances is there.

So if there is anyone here that could give him a home, preferably a working home can you p.m. or post here and we can discuss him.

Obviously there is no charge and he is upto date with jabs and things.

Failing that any advice? :good:

Regards

Darren

I should add that he is basically very good natured. He has no problem with strangers visiting, and just loves attention.

He just needs to with someone who can be with him one to one a lot of the time. A delivery van dog, that sort of thing, I don't know really it is just very upsetting :lol:

Hi mate

sorry to hear of your dilema, I had the same thing with a lurcher when our first baby was due

Have you cosidered keeping him in a kennel/crate so that you can still enjoy him? It sounds from your post that you quite like the little sod despite you partners ideas?

Good luck, I don`t envy you

Charly

The dog sees me as dominant and challenges my wife for "second place".

It would mean crating him all day whilst I was at work, not really ideal. If he was left outside in a kennel he might start barking all day.

Another thing is he spends the day on the windowsill barking at the world going past. Again he is protecting the house but in the wrong way!

He gets off the sofa when told but soon gets back on there. It is a constant battle for the wife to get him to stop barking.

Snakebite,

If your wife and the dog are conflicting, and in a power struggle, now is not the time to be tryiny to fix it. Not with her being pegnant and with one little on the ground. Do everyone a favour including the dog, and find him a nice working home.

You have a very dominate dog from a working strain of terriers, they make great pets as long as they are working or out brushing, exercising etc. They make lousy pets if they have too much time on their hands in the house. They become destructive, bark at mail delivery people and then at everyone else, pester with games of keep away , and constantly userp authority. The best thing that you can do is find him a good home, perferably one close to you where you will still be able to see and possibly take him out. :no:

Good Luck

NTTF :look:

Thanks for that NTTF. Coming from you it all makes sense.

It is not that I haven't tried I have, and with me he is much better. Still not ideal but :look: a lot better than he is with the wife.

The strange thing is I trust him with my 7 year old daughter, he is fine with her. She mauls him around and he just takes it until he has enough then walks off. I keep telling her to leave him alone but sometimes when she is watching telly quietly the dog goes and winds her up just so she starts roughing him up!

Its a shame if you have to get rid of him, but it will be hard work when the new baby comes along.......................we have two very small kids, and when we got our ESS pup a cpouple of weeks ago we had some real arguments.....as she had never had pets before and dealing with another 'rug rat' that chews and craps wasn't her idea of fun, especially when I'm at work all day......

Luckily, the dog is as good as gold, and will be kenelled outside and trained as a working dog. That way he can't pick up any bad habbits from the wife and kids when its at home with them. Not only that but a relative has a large estate with teriers spaniels and lurchers, and he is going to let him go up their a coulpe of days a week to socialize with the other dogs.