Success at last!

cloudwalker

Went out today to a couple of fields of rape i can shoot over. Hadn't checked it out since Boxing day. Arrived at 8.00am and there must have been 1000 pigeon on it. They all cleared of as i lugged all the kit across the field. Started to set up and bunches of Pigeon were flying over. Put out 1 flapper,1 floater and a dozen shells on rockers. Just getting the gun out of the slip when the first bunch came in. This was the start of a manic couple of hours,couldn't load quick enough!

It went very quiet at about lunch time but stuck it out til 3.00pm

Finished up with 40 woodies and 2 crows for 79 shots, a very enjoyable day! :):lol:

Thanks guys. I was very pleased especially since I hadn't had time to do a reccy, I just turned up on speck.

I had noticed that in other parts of Northants the pigeon had started to move on to the rape in the past 7-10 days. It seems they must have eaten all the ivy berries at last.

Keep on looking everyone.

Fair play. :lol: That is a cracking bag at the moment compared to what other people are reporting. :P

I was distraught this afternoon when I found out that while I was cooped up in school Dad went to my Gran's house to clean out her birds and there were 100+ pigeons on the field that I have permission on next door and flighting into the woods. ???:good::good::no::good:

I wish he could have phoned the school and explained that there was a national emergency and that I was required immediatley. :) Anyway I'm ferreting on Saturday, then clay shooting Sunday morning and will be attempting to hit some pigeons Sunday afternoon.

FM :good:

We are quite lucky in that both fields we are shooting on are right next to a golf course and the golf course is right next to a massive housing development. Most of the other farm land nearby is grazing land. As a result there is not a lot of rape nearby. We also get a lot of pigeon coming out from the town and housing estate as well as from woodland a couple of miles away. :lol:

We shot the same fields at the end of summer when it was wheat stubble, but only shot it a few times as most of the flocks at that time were squabs. We decided to leave it, as a I don't enjoy shooting squabs,also the game dealer wouldn't give us anything for them. :lol:

We knew that the fields were drilled with rape so decided to leave it till the winter. Glad we did now :lol:

By the way, on the subject of squabs, i couldn't believe when i picked up one of the birds. It could only have been off the nest a week or two, in January!!