DVLA Online

old rooster

Another well thought out online system!

It clearly states that the tax disc will "take up to a maximum of 5 working days to arrive" yet doesn't allow payment for tax discs required to start at the beginning of the month until that month has started.

I tend to tax my bikes and motorhome for 6 months starting in April so it would be handy if I could pay now and have some chance of the tax discs arriving for the start of the month.

Typically screwed up but nearly makes sense:

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using DVLA's phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 14 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

So for people who quite legitimately tax their vehicles for 6 months of the year and declare SORN (another ridiculous hoop for us to jump through) for the other 6 months there is no facility to take into account the delivery delays.

From October there won't be any tax discs to display so it's academic really.

If you live in a rural area with few police and no ANPR cameras it's unlikely you'd get caught if you SORN your vehicle yet carry on using it as no one will be able to tell at a glance that you've not taxed it.

Valid points, I was merely highlighting yet another poorly thought through government scheme that wouldn't take much in the way of change to benefit the "customers"

Not suggesting that the system originates from the present government, I'm sure it is just another inherited issue.

I'd have a sneaky little side bet that anybody caught with no tax disc is likelier to get prosecuted than somebody who has just been caught red handed nicking diesel out of a farm tank. LOL

The offence is not ,not having a tax disc it's failing to display a tax disc this 14 day thing is rubbish

You can have the new tax at home in the envelope stuck on the fridge and you can still get done

Deershooter

You are correct. The offence is failing to display a valid tax disc, you do however have 14 days grace from the date the tax commenced whereby you are exempt from prosecution for this offence. This is to take into account the vagaries of the postal system.

I would hazard a guess that there will be a change in legislation from October making it an offence to use a motor vehicle on a road with valid tax for said vehicle being in place.

My point is that you'd be unlucky to be caught out if you lived in a rural area as the tools used to police this particular tax evasion are few and far between.

I understand your point re your side bet and you are correct. However it should be noted that prosecution for any offence relies on two key factors. Strength of evidence and the capability and determination of those bodies pursuing the prosecution. The fact of the matter is that failing to display a valid tax disc is an absolute offence. Either you are displaying or you're not! The offence if theft is not an absolute offence and the CPS have to prove an intent to permanently deprive the victim of the property. Clearly it's harder to prosecute for the latter before you add in the variables of Police and CPS capability and determination.

You are correct. The offence is failing to display a valid tax disc, you do however have 14 days grace from the date the tax commenced whereby you are exempt from prosecution for this offence. This is to take into account the vagaries of the postal system.

I would hazard a guess that there will be a change in legislation from October making it an offence to use a motor vehicle on a road with valid tax for said vehicle being in place.

My point is that you'd be unlucky to be caught out if you lived in a rural area as the tools used to police this particular tax evasion are few and far between.

I understand your point re your side bet and you are correct. However it should be noted that prosecution for any offence relies on two key factors. Strength of evidence and the capability and determination of those bodies pursuing the prosecution. The fact of the matter is that failing to display a valid tax disc is an absolute offence. Either you are displaying or you're not! The offence if theft is not an absolute offence and the CPS have to prove an intent to permanently deprive the victim of the property. Clearly it's harder to prosecute for the latter before you add in the variables of Police and CPS capability and determination.

You only have 14 days grace if the tax discs are coterminous, should you decide to sorn the vehicle over the winter you cannot get a tax disc online starting on the first day of the month in which you wish to change from sorn to being taxed again. That is the stupidity of the current situation, it would be simplicity itself to reword it to take into account people wishing to change from sorn to 6 months tax.

As for CPS capability, don't get me started on that one when they refused to prosecute the scrote they caught red handed in possession of my stolen trailer.

Edited by old rooster