anyone know the average price for blockwork

RED BEARD

thinking of building my new shed out of blockwork (knocked the prefab garage idea on the head) and wondered if anyone new what it cost for blockwork (for supplied and layed all in,and also just layed),the shed will be 18' long x about 9' wide x 8' tall, they'll be no windows and a hole for a 4' x 7' for at one end.

thanks,red.

Thats very poor prices compared to here.100mm is £12.50 and brushed and if its pointed both sides add a couple of quid and 150mm is £15.00 and the same £2 for pointing.

That's a very good rate for sure,havent seen it so good down here in Yorkshire for a good few years,PBS is only 50p/m round here.Plenty about at those prices?

Hi.

Ok I'm a bricky by trade!!. Ive all so had my own building Co. and ran major jobs.

If you want more details PM me.

Approx there is 410 blocks needed wich equals 41m2 so cost to lay only would be

£470 based on 140mm wide blocks jointed both sides!

Now if you want to see my calculations please PM me.

If you want a price inc. materials PM me and I can have this sorted sorted this week.

what about roof and foundations? and the floor? Or you planning on building straight of a concrete slab and using that as your floor?

Do you need this doing or you planning on doing that your self? (sing as you pic is of a JCB, i take it you have some knowledge, but unsure)

Now your not to far from me if you need some one to do you a good job pm me ill be keen to work with you on it :friends:

just some advice from experience.

1. Use 140mm wide concrete blocks. 100mm to thin! and and Thirmulite/Celcon don't have the strength plus you would need to render if you used these.

2. Think of your door size!! I'm not sure what you want to use it for or your layout. but you never know what you want to get in and out in the future! Plus in the summer you can be in there with the doors wide open ect.

any more help or advice let us know..

(Things you do to get away from the mrs lol)

Edited by chady

That's a very good rate for sure,havent seen it so good down here in Yorkshire for a good few years,PBS is only 50p/m round here.Plenty about at those prices?

I was getting £12 m2 6 years ago on site with a £1 a side pointed so £14m2 pointed both sides. (leicestershire)

but the industry has took a battering big time!!!!

But to be fair it seams to be picking up big time. well around here it is.

Whats Sheffield like is that not picking up yet?

We have been very lucky up here and since the turn of the year its absolutely flat out with getting labour a major problem.A lot of folks have went offshore meaning a shortage of hands on tools which is good for us left.Ive just been guaranteed a years work so left the last job with only about 3 weeks of blockwork left and they were paying £15m2 for 150mm plus £1m2 for shot firing ties and £1m2 for tramline reinforcing which made it up to £17m2 which was a bad rate as every course was tramlined and shot fired.I told them to get someone else because i was doing the granite and slaps and they ended up having to get agency brickies so i measured their work after 2 days and the meterage price was working out at pennies short of £36m2.They have no choice and it wasnt till i said i was shifting that they offered the price up.Another firm has put their prices up 5% and are going another 5% this month because labour is a big problem.

I was getting £12 m2 6 years ago on site with a £1 a side pointed so £14m2 pointed both sides. (leicestershire)

but the industry has took a battering big time!!!!

But to be fair it seams to be picking up big time. well around here it is.

Whats Sheffield like is that not picking up yet?

There is increased activity but still a lot of spare hands so rates are rising slowly.

thanks everyone for the advice :good:.its going on an old garage base thats not very thick but its been down years with plenty of weight on it,it will be painted inside and out.i don't mind laying a few bricks and blocks,but i've never build a whole garage.i'll be using box profile sheets for the roof (which i'm used to doing).i was going to use 4" blocks with a pillar half way down either side,but it sounds like i need to scrap that idea and use 6" instead.the reason for the 4' door is i'll be putting 2' wide racking down either side.i've had a think and i reckon i'll have my mate to build it and i'll labour to him,he's a qualified bricky but he's never had chance to build any speed up as the fim he worked for went bang just at the end of his apprenticeship,so he ended up going groundworking which he's been doing ever since.

thanks all :good:

Fair play to giving it to your mate. It's a rough time out there and it will give him the expierence.

If the slab is thin. You could all ways underpin round the edges even if it's only 500mm down.

But can't really advise you on it with out seeing it.

Get your bricky to bang a concreate lintel it all the way accross so if you change your mind later on and want to put double door in all you have to do is cut out a section of block work to fit the door.

And not mess about supporting block work and replacing lintels ect.

Or just finish the racking 6 inch from the end.

But all this is based on the door bing on the end.

Just some idears for you to think.

I have had to do a few alterations on door sizes lol

To don't have to leave it as it is just put a longer lintel in and build under it then if you want you just need to cut the clockwork out.

It's normally when men have a mid life crisis and get a motorbike and need to put it in the garage lol