Pattern a shotgun

Cosd

Non at all in my opinion . Unless you are loading your own cartridges so you can see whether you loads are suitable for the gun you want to shoot them in .

Was just about to respond to this before the 'Edit' appeared. I must admit that I'm now totally confused. If there is no benefit from patterning, doesn't that make all of your experimentation detailed at Post #23 pointless? If no account was taken of ballistics, then how do you determine in practise exactly what it is that you've achieved?

Surely, in addition to those one has loaded, the same can be said for those that one has purchased other than those recently already used.

I explained at some length the tests /experiments in answer to the question of canting a gun .It was also to point out to those who think shotguns shoot like a rife to a specific point if aimed ,as in using a pattern plate ,they do not .These can be factors they have not been aware of and In an effort to make people aware of this , I made my comments .

In days gone by patterning was to ensure that a gun was bored to throw a specific percentage of shot in a 30 inch circle using a specified cartridge and distance . Patterning serves no useful purpose to any shooter in my opinion but if people want to do it I had attempted to explain ,obviously not very well , some of the things to take into consideration when doing so .

If any one wants to use pattern plate then as far as I am concerned let them , but if they then come to me as a gunsmith , worried that their gun does not shoot where they think it should or that the patterns do not fully overlap then there are reasons , some of which I have outlined .

I explained at some length the tests /experiments in answer to the question of canting a gun .It was also to point out to those who think shotguns shoot like a rife to a specific point if aimed ,as in using a pattern plate ,they do not .These can be factors they have not been aware of and In an effort to make people aware of this , I made my comments .

In days gone by patterning was to ensure that a gun was bored to throw a specific percentage of shot in a 30 inch circle using a specified cartridge and distance . Patterning serves no useful purpose to any shooter in my opinion but if people want to do it I had attempted to explain ,obviously not very well , some of the things to take into consideration when doing so .

If any one wants to use pattern plate then as far as I am concerned let them , but if they then come to me as a gunsmith , worried that their gun does not shoot where they think it should or that the patterns do not fully overlap then there are reasons , some of which I have outlined .

Thanks for the reply. The penny finally dropped when I read your penultimate phrase as I'd not been thinking of that particular aspect of a pattern test.

However, although choke is the invention of the devil and many,many manufacturers sell devices of, it would seem, no worth at all. if a pattern test shows that Tom is making life difficult by attempting to shoot pigeon at 25 yards through a fully choked barrel and Richard is doing the reverse at 50 yards with a TC, then Harry might just be justified in checking to see how is gun/cartridge is performing before making the same mistake.

Strange you should say that...

This is a Canada I shot on the first day, there were pellets in the game bag and on boning out I found the wad inside with some shot in it. The wad had turned round and entered the bird wrong way round. Needless to say it dropped like a stone. Solway steel 3" No.1`s.

At what distance was this one shot?

Never seen this before - cracking picture proof.

Only ever seen wads hit pattern plates before this.