Bracken`s progress

CHARLY

Hi Guys

I am posting some pictures of Bracken @ 7 months.

He changed a great deal at around 5 months and his face grew much heavier, unfortunatly he developed Entropian which caused ulcers on the eye and he had to have corrective surgery to avoid any permanent damage.

Now he is over all that we can realy concentrate on training, He is hunting well and starting to quarter nicely, His hunting action is very methodic and led entirely by sent but not slow or sluggish by any means, He turns on the whistle and recalls. We are just beginning to hup and wait. He is quite headstrong on the lead especially in public or on a road, so that needs more work. Retrieving is a sore point at present, he is very reluctant and needs every trick in the book so I have tacken him back to the long alley behind the shed and just playing with the ball to try and recondition him and get him excited about coming in with a retreive.

All in all I`m really pleased with him and would reccommend the breed to any working home, Have a look at www.workingclumber.co.uk for more info.

Cheers, Charly.

post-2576-1170413823.jpg

post-2576-1170413843.jpg

post-2576-1170413871.jpg

post-2576-1170413897.jpg

Thats great Dan

P A has a really nice looking bitch so good luck with that.

Any pearls you can offer me on getting the retrieving going, I know its not right but I`m getting tempted to offer him other objects to get him to come in, Then of course he drops the dummy :blush: !

Charly

Thats great Dan

P A has a really nice looking bitch so good luck with that.

Any pearls you can offer me on getting the retrieving going, I know its not right but I`m getting tempted to offer him other objects to get him to come in, Then of course he drops the dummy :blush: !

Charly

First off;

"P A has a really nice looking bitch so good luck with that."

One of them has to be...... :/:P:P:P

Now that I have that out of my system.....Charley tell me exactly what you are doing right now and exactly what the dog is doing.

NTTF

The one I`ve seen but Point taken Dan :blush: ,

Now back to the Dog,

He developed the reluctance very young because I was taking things away from him in the home and one day he decided to do a runner, then he was chewing stones so I was removing them as well, I never considered That could discourage the retrieving.

I went back to the alley when I found he would stop 2-3 meters in front of me on the return or circle out of reach, I tried retreating from him and getting my back against somthing.

When I thought he had it right I took him out again but no better

The only time he has retrieved perfectly was in a situation where he felt unsure but I have only seen him like that the once.

So now I`m back to square 1 but with a dog that thinks everything is his.

A typically bad retrieve would be;

I throw the dummy and tell him to fetch it, he makes an impressive out run and confidently picks the dummy, turns without hesitation and makes a good return untill he is 3-5 meters away . At this point he will either continue but vere to the right and circle me or stop dead and maul the dummy untill I intervene.

Whilst this is happening I have been using the recall whistle and verbally encouraging him, I don`t stare at him or show my dissapointment.

I have tried retreating but that can go on for 30 meters or so and also showing him the next potential retrieve which gets him in but he will drop the first at my feet.

Hope you can help Dan,

Charly

Charly,

I will get a program up for you over the next couple of days :lol:

Many thanks Dan :lol:

Charly

As soon as I can get Trix to take some photos for me Charley I will put it together. I have 3 other people that have PM'd me with the same dropping problems, so I will do a step by step on teaching hold and how to transfer it over to retrieveing. I will try to corner Trix tonight. :lol:

NTTF

The one I`ve seen but Point taken Dan :lol: ,

Now back to the Dog,

He developed the reluctance very young because I was taking things away from him in the home and one day he decided to do a runner, then he was chewing stones so I was removing them as well, I never considered That could discourage the retrieving.

I went back to the alley when I found he would stop 2-3 meters in front of me on the return or circle out of reach, I tried retreating from him and getting my back against somthing.

When I thought he had it right I took him out again but no better

The only time he has retrieved perfectly was in a situation where he felt unsure but I have only seen him like that the once.

So now I`m back to square 1 but with a dog that thinks everything is his.

A typically bad retrieve would be;

I throw the dummy and tell him to fetch it, he makes an impressive out run and confidently picks the dummy, turns without hesitation and makes a good return untill he is 3-5 meters away . At this point he will either continue but vere to the right and circle me or stop dead and maul the dummy untill I intervene.

Whilst this is happening I have been using the recall whistle and verbally encouraging him, I don`t stare at him or show my dissapointment.

I have tried retreating but that can go on for 30 meters or so and also showing him the next potential retrieve which gets him in but he will drop the first at my feet.

Hope you can help Dan,

Charly

Try doing this in a narrow lane / path where he wont be able to circle you or get past you & have something behind you that will tempt him - even if its only the way back home for him. Then when he gets to you you can give him plenty of praise - even though he didn't have much choice on his route :lol::lol: . If you cant find anywhere suitable you could even try standing it in a doorway & get between him & his kennel / bed / favourite place.