Ballistic gel.

aister

It will tell you only how the bullets perform against each other on gel. All sorts of stuff can be used like stacked wet newspaper but again although it give indications its not proof positive on game. The Military have used pig carcass in the past but I suppose the best test for rabbits is a dead one and likewise for foxes, deer whatever. Yes I have collected data and spent bullets but not from a gel, careful though it gets addictive

I know it wouldn't be identical to shooting a live animal it was more out of interest and I wanna play with something different :rolleyes:

Also was wondering where I would get the gelatin in big quantities from, I had a look on the bay but I haven't had time for a real look yet.

Edited by aister

I know it wouldn't be identical to shooting a live animal it was more out of interest and I wanna play with something different :rolleyes:

Also was wondering where I would get the gelatin in big quantities from, I had a look on the bay but I haven't had time for a real look yet.

You can get a product called "the bullet test tube" it can be re-set and re-used. Like I say it only shows you some of what the bullet does in that medium. Setting bones etc into gel has been done again you cant simulate the same thing twice so you cannot even compare two bullets.

The very best way to learn a bullet is to make a lot of live things dead things and investigate

Amazing idea. I'm going to make some and put some bones in it too. I have hmr, 223 and 308. I'll try them all. Oh and 12g obviously.

I'll post my results.

One thing I wished I had done with the HMR is consistency testing on bullet performance. 5 shots into the same re-set media at 20 yards intervals 20-200 yards could answer why this round gives such variable results on impact. Is it very speed sensitive? Do the bullets vary through quality control / normal manufacture? or it all about exactly were they first strike on quarry? perhaps a combo of all? but it should be nice to know those that could be ruled out.

Too late. I've just looked on YouTube and this is old hat. Not going to waste my time. It's all there for you to see. Very impressed with the cavitation that the hmr gives. Obviously I knew it was good because it will remove bunny heads but I didn't know it was that effective.

If you don't already own a 17, I recommend you get one.

I will happily push out the range on Charlie now.

Too late. I've just looked on YouTube and this is old hat. Not going to waste my time. It's all there for you to see. Very impressed with the cavitation that the hmr gives. Obviously I knew it was good because it will remove bunny heads but I didn't know it was that effective.

Do you load your own ?

I appreciate factory tests are done

But to put a sticker on some gell when your zero of a new batch is beng tested

To give you information can't be a bad thing

All the best

Of

I found it very variable in use on quarry. One it might wreck the next looked like it had had heat failure. With crows I had a few break up on the wing primaries and knock the wind out of them but not actually get below the skin. Other shots zipped through. I posted about this quite a bit back 3-4 yrs perhaps.

Anyhow its the last thing I should point at a fox personally, at least you get consistency with .22 lr

You want to do these?

I don't know the parameters but that don't look like a worthwhile foxing round to my eyes