fac sgc interview today

finally get the call today saying fac sgc have now been granted and i should have them next week!

and about bloody time tooooooooooo

I got told that on the phone and it still took them over 2 months to post it out!

Well done anyway - use the time to shop around now.

If you've got good reason, ie permission and suitable land, you should be granted. I've not come across mentoring for a rimfire, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

When mine was first granted they'd only let me have a .22lr and said I could have an hmr after 6 months on a free variation.

A year later, I had a .223 added and an open certificate!

PS welcome to the site!

Seems west mercia currently want mentoring for .17hmr rimfire for hunting purposes. .22lr is fine though.

Like said, it seems silly how they say no to a .22LR, but give the nod to an FAC air rifle, which can be just as powerful as a rimfire anyway.

Enjoy your FAC air rifle, try to get some experience with some local rimfire users if you can, and have a few hours at the range, then apply for a variation in 6 months time.

There's no set method to a firearms application, it seems up in the air. Some police forces like mentoring, some don't, some like physical conditions (ie. one must use a high seat), some don't. From what I've seen and heard, it depends on the police force, the FEO, and luck in general.

I never did understand the logic behind the way they treat 22lr vs hmr. The hmr being a flatter round is obviously easier to work out holdover as there quite often isn't any whereas you could misjudge a .22 reasonably easily.

Regardless of that, a backstop is a backstop.

I'm grateful to the FEO as it turns out as I probably would have got the hmr first instead but I do have loads of good shooting with the 22 so glad I got it.

I never did understand the logic behind the way they treat 22lr vs hmr. The hmr being a flatter round is obviously easier to work out holdover as there quite often isn't any whereas you could misjudge a .22 reasonably easily.

Regardless of that, a backstop is a backstop.

I'm grateful to the FEO as it turns out as I probably would have got the hmr first instead but I do have loads of good shooting with the 22 so glad I got it.

I got a .17HMR first for hunting, and now I want a .22LR for plinking, as .17HMR ammo is much more expensive. I have a .223 Remington aswell, but someone told me that having both .17HMR and .223 is pointless, and I can see their point. But I love my .17HMR, I think it's a lovely little calibre for vermin, the .223 seems just like overkill for anything smaller than a fox.

I come late to this thread. I'm actually really saddened that you rolled over so easily. It just helps set a gradual president and gives the next applicant a slightly harder time.

If you have good reason then I would have stood my ground, very firmly. There was absolutely no reason not to allow you to have a .22 and a .17 if you wanted one. You should have fought your corner.