Pheasant eggs.

Doing the rounds on our rough shoot I have so far found a nest with 1 egg in, which when I visited 3 days later had increased to 6. Another with 5 in, and today, while working in the wood, another with 22 eggs in it! Most I've ever seen in one nest.

We haven't had any frost that I know of, but had rain overnight. On visiting the first this morning the hen was sat, so sneaked away. All the eggs in the other two were wet, indicating they have been deserted, so they are at the landowners Mothers now. We bought her an incubator some years ago, so we'll see what happens.

Was out at 5am yesterday morning looking for cubs and it was -1. Had a work party at the shoot later we all met at 10am and it was t-shirt weather. Saw the one brood of Mallard this morning 5 nice ducklings a week old tommorow :)

Yeah; very changeable here also. T-shirt weather felling trees in wood yesterday; back in winter wear today.

Have no ducklings, and no branchers as yet, but have seen several full to bursting Blackbird fledglings; a lot of toads in the wood, and have sorted two sitting Magpies (plus eggs or chicks) via No 5 shot through bottom of nest,and just the other day four dead Starling chicks from eaves above front door, but have no idea what is going on there.

Have spotted fox on trail cam twice but no eyes (except Badgers) at all when out, and no cubs as yet, fingers crossed. Interesting times.

Shot the rooks today, about 60, some still to come out.

Mallard chicks 2 weeks ago 11in brood and more since.

Fox cubs, 2litters of well grown to be sorted shortly.

25magpies and 5 crows so far with larsens but some are educated and won't have the traps so its nest blowing this week.

Rabbits where we hadn't any? And rats on feed hoppers keeping me active, 17hmr/22rimmy/and the FAC rapid for all eventuality s. john

• 4 weeks later...

We haven't had any frost that I know of, but had rain overnight. On visiting the first this morning the hen was sat, so sneaked away. All the eggs in the other two were wet, indicating they have been deserted, so they are at the landowners Mothers now. We bought her an incubator some years ago, so we'll see what happens.

Was up at rough shoot last night and landowners Mam called me into her conservatory, pulled back a newspaper over a shallow cage to show me 14 day old pheasant chicks under a lamp as a result of those 27 I mentioned in the post above. Well chuffed. Remainder aren't showing any signs she says.