243 twist rate and barrel length.

foosa

The variation for a .243 came through yesterday so here we go again then, new calibre, new world! Having done a bit of research i have figured the most popular twist rate for said calibre is the 1 in 10 with a barrel of 20-22 " it will be used mostly for roe and fallow and I would like it to be happy with most bullet weights around the 95- 100g mark, so will the above barrel be my best choice or something a bit tighter, longer maybe?

all 1:10 barrels will stabilise 100gr bullets

they may not like particular factory options but reloading simple loads will solve that (and any dent on your wallet)

IMO the 80-90gr bullets are the best option for energy delivery

100gr is heavy for calibre and limits your MV's unless pushing them very hard

all 1:10 barrels will stabilise 100gr bullets

they may not like particular factory options but reloading simple loads will solve that (and any dent on your wallet)

IMO the 80-90gr bullets are the best option for energy delivery

100gr is heavy for calibre and limits your MV's unless pushing them very hard

limiting the impact speed can be a very positive thing in a .243 win and 100 grain bullet, just don't over do it as not only will they fail legislation they can also tumble on impact and it gets proper messy when they do that

I will be reloading for it eventually but starting on factory stuff, I'm looking at getting a 20" barrel in the stainless t3 flavour and am tempted by the package deals that tikka have going on, just not sure about the scope involved, I think it's the Burris x? As for the t3 I already have one in other calibre and can't fault it.

I will be reloading for it eventually but starting on factory stuff, I'm looking at getting a 20" barrel in the stainless t3 flavour and am tempted by the package deals that tikka have going on, just not sure about the scope involved, I think it's the Burris x? As for the t3 I already have one in other calibre and can't fault it.

A very good deal, the Burris scopes are great value. :good:

Burris are now under the same flag hence the deal. Before Berretta took the brand on they produced some really good scopes like the once favoured 8-32 x RF airgun scope a favourite of US silhouette shooters and FT lads here once over. I think its more a brand name now and should just say look at the alternatives also within that price structure

Burris are now under the same flag hence the deal. Before Berretta took the brand on they produced some really good scopes like the once favoured 8-32 x RF airgun scope a favourite of US silhouette shooters and FT lads here once over. I think its more a brand name now and should just say look at the alternatives also within that price structure

decided to just get the rifle, still not sure between t3 and x bolt then build up my own rig. Edited by foosa