Baikal MP153 over-size bolt handle

"Where can I get one?" seems to be a common question, and the usual answer seems to be, "You can't!"

Hmmm... we have a lathe at work...

A quick dig in the Box of Useful Items turned up some pieces of silver steel that I retrieved from the local tip.
OK, I haven't actually used a lathe for over 30 years, but it's like riding a bike - once you get going, you soon remember how not to fall off!

Baikal_bolt_01.jpg

Baikal_ext_bolt.jpg

Incidentally, the rail is there to mount a case deflector/catcher which is under construction - a place I go lamping is really hot on not leaving empties scattered around!

Next job after the catcher is a bigger bolt release button - back to the box of bits :)

Good point...

Looking at the photo of the two bolt handles, the perspective is a bit misleading - makes the new one look huge!

The handle end OD is 5/8", ID is 1/2", so it is quite thin-walled.

The original weighs 11g, the replacement is 22g.

Taking into account the weight of the gas piston, action bars and bolt (quite heavy on one of these), I don't think the11g difference in weight will have any effect. It is, after all, a gas-operated action, not inertia.

It may slow the cycling down slightly, but I doubt I will be able to tell the difference.

I will, of course, report back when I have shot with it! :whistling:

If it doesn't cycle, I'll try making another one without the annular grooves, bore the inside out to 33/64 or even 17/32, and use 4.5mm or 5mm holes.

I'm not convinced that a piece of aluminium threaded on to a steel bar would stand up to the stress.

I'll update when I've shot it.