wynns stop leak ( oil )

darren m

Its dire stuff, works by swelling the seal (and all the other good seals), fine I guess if your selling the car and don't give a **** about the poor sod who buys it.

Better off buying a new seal and fitting it, should only be a few quid and a days work

Edited by LowStandards

" Drut - what did you use it in"

40 + years motor trade(had my own small workshop & MOT station until I retired),used it in a wide selection of older cars.Good results on everything from weeping crank seals to valve stem oil seals.However as I pointed out to customers,although,for the cost well worth trying there could be no guarantees:if a seal is nicked or damaged replacement is the only answer.Generally I found Wynn's & Forte additives effective although there are any number of ineffective "snake oil" additives out there. As an aside the thinner new synthetic oils commonly used are blamed by some for seal problems http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/4213451

good link -- i use semi syn in this , but it was pretty thick stuff i took out ( previous owner said it was 15w 40 ) a bit sludgey in fact, i replaced it with GTX 10w 40 part syn ( as recommended ) it seemed a bit thinner and then oil leaks started :rolleyes: .