Another mod to Baikal MP153

CaptainBeaky

Having made an oversize bolt handle, I set to making an oversize bolt release, as the original is specced for the same gorilla who does the stock bolts up at the factory...

There wasn't enough metal in the original button to tap, so I turned up a replacement from my stock of silver steel, but made the foot bigger to change the leverage.

The release lever is dural, held on with an M3x0.5 cap-head screw., the general design being lovingly ripped off from Vitaly Kruchin's gun, as here : MP153 fast loading video

These are available in Russia, but like the fabled factory magazine extensions, they don't get exported at all due to the vagaries of Russian firearms laws.

MP153_bolt_release.jpg

I've shot with it a couple of times, and it seems to work very well, with a sharp nudge of the lever dropping the bolt, rather than the normal "training for the World Thumb-Wrestling Championship" effort.

The mark 1 version, as it turned out, didn't have quite enough threads in the button to stay tightened up, so I made up a mark 2 button, this time drilling out the spring cavity with a end-reamer to give a square end to the hole, and hence greater centre thickness than with a normal conical drilled hole.

This one has stayed tight. :D

Next, the case deflector... :hmm:

Looks very good. Have you made these mod's with PSG in mind, hence the picatinny ? The more often I see these Baikels the more tempted I am to have one. MUST get down to Malmo and 'have a go' with one. I currently have a VGC auto which is my hide gun but am always wary of beating it up to the point it is greatly devalued (not that it's worth a lot anyhow) and fancy the MP153 as my hide and 'doing the rounds' gun. Being synthetic it would then be much more like the work tool my CZ is and therefore I'd be less precious about it.

Nice work; looks the biz.

Edited by Scully

Hi Scully

Thanks B) The rail is actually there to mount a case-deflector for lamping from a vehicle (so the cases land in the bed of the pickup). This may be coming off again, as I may mount the deflector plate direct onto the receiver using the Weaver mounting screws (now I have found out what size hex key to use :rolleyes: )

No1 son is badgering to have a go at PSG, so I will probably try it sooner or later - being only 4 miles from the nearest PSG club helps here!

The bolt handle was more because I am missing the last joint of my right index finger, and the original bolt handle was a bit harsh on either the stump or my little finger, and the bolt release was, well, just because...

Interesting project, and good to get back into making things on a lathe again.

And yes, go and try one! They're not pretty, but they are a good tool.