Just a thought

Scully

Had a wander with dog and gun this evening and came across a Buzzard freshly dead at the foot of a electric pole; one of those with all the ceramic doo-dahs on them , a spiked ring to prevent climbing and signs warning of impending death. Dead Buzzards are quite common around such devices but it's the first I've seen on our rough shoot.

Anyhow, as they're protected, I wondered if I had wanted to take this to a taxidermist would I be breaching any law by doing so? Just a thought.

As far as I know, as long as you can provide proof that it died by natural causes, an unintentional RTA or other legal means, then an taxidermist can work on it.

You'd need pictures of the area and probably a call to the RSPB to get it verified by those guys.

As far as I know, as long as you can provide proof that it died by natural causes, an unintentional RTA or other legal means, then an taxidermist can work on it.

You'd need pictures of the area and probably a call to the RSPB to get it verified by those guys.

Why would you need it verified by the RSPCA, they have no legal jurisdiction or power and are no different to any other member of the public you meet in the street.

Why would you need it verified by the RSPCA, they have no legal jurisdiction or power and are no different to any other member of the public you meet in the street.

I'm not saying it's a legal requirement, but if you got the nod from them, you'll probably be in the clear if anyone asked about the source of the bird.

Scully

There is a general License applicable to the members of the Guild of Taxidermists permitting possession.

Many thanks, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. I do realise of course that if in doing so the taxidermist found the bird to be riddled with shot I would have some explaining to do, in which case my powers of persuasion could be severely tested ! I have no interest in such things really; it was just a thought. Thankyou.