gun dog commands?

martindd

I can't really get excited about a hunt command, tried it a few times.

If I trialled labs then maybe I would, send the dog out like a rocket in a straight line and tell it to hunt when it hits the fall site, ignoring all other game scent on route - but I don't trial labs and I can't think of many other situations it would be useful.

What has served me well is handling a dog to an area and letting its nose take over.

I use it when the scent is poor on the day and the dog is on the fall but mostly I cant see the dog. Birds falling in snow or even a hollow on a bad scent day and it can speed the job up no end. I have watched foxes play with hounds on a bad scent day sitting on wall tops etc.

I use it when the scent is poor on the day and the dog is on the fall but mostly I cant see the dog. Birds falling in snow or even a hollow on a bad scent day and it can speed the job up no end. I have watched foxes play with hounds on a bad scent day sitting on wall tops etc.

Hunt whistle is handling, how can you handle a dog you can't see?

Hunt whistle is handling, how can you handle a dog you can't see?

I think you misunderstood Mostly I don't do it when I cant see the dog. I don't do the funny siren whistle as I start them on "there" during early play retrieves. About 1 in 50 say I use it but it can be invaluable when its needed. Sending a dog into a reed bed say I would again use voice with" get in- there" and a it seems to work. I trained my last dog to be too reliant on help and hand signals and I am well happy with the balance I have in this one that will redirect and handle at distance but I can also send off in a vague direction and just let him get on with it, he wont come back for help within ten minutes at least even then its normally for help with one stuck in a tree he cannot reach or shake out.

The hunt command is never hardly needed as the dog should catch the scent as your get him in the area, but its useful to have when the occasion arises ie when you know best and the dog wants to go else where. It takes no effort to install the hunt command just give your chosen words or whistle just as you think the dog caught the scent it will then after time hunt when you tell it , but most of the time they've scented it before you know it. Just to add , make sure your dog is the right side of the wind otherwise your wasting your time.

Edited by jayDT10

The hunt command is never hardly needed as the dog should catch the scent as your get him in the area, but its useful to have when the occasion arises ie when you know best and the dog wants to go else where. It takes no effort to install the hunt command just give your chosen words or whistle just as you think the dog caught the scent it will then after time hunt when you tell it , but most of the time they've scented it before you know it. Just to add , make sure your dog is the right side of the wind otherwise your wasting your time.

And there are great days for scent and very bad ones don't get onto the dog if they are up against it and don't think they are wonder dog when scent is great either

yes I agree , but not sure what that has to do with what I said.

"The dog should catch the scent" Sometimes they do this from a fair distance but on a bad scent day they need all the help you can give them despite being downwind as its just not carrying and there are dead spots I think the reason a lot of unpicked birds occur is these deadspots, snow holes and hollows and you can see the best of dogs run right over, sometimes our eyes beat their nose - not often at all but it happens

"The dog should catch the scent" Sometimes they do this from a fair distance but on a bad scent day they need all the help you can give them despite being downwind as its just not carrying and there are dead spots I think the reason a lot of unpicked birds occur is these deadspots, snow holes and hollows and you can see the best of dogs run right over, sometimes our eyes beat their nose - not often at all but it happens

that's why I use the hunt command , incase it does not catch the scent like you say. But 9 times out of ten it's not needed. I think you have a major problem with understanding what you read. Do me a favour , read things a few times and let your brain process what you just read before your fingers scramble all over the keyboard. Ta ta.

that's why I use the hunt command , incase it does not catch the scent like you say. But 9 times out of ten it's not needed. I think you have a major problem with understanding what you read. Do me a favour , read things a few times and let your brain process what you just read before your fingers scramble all over the keyboard. Ta ta.

:rolleyes: