lough neagh shooters

hawk eye

Where do you shoot on the lough? The redheads have all but vanished from where I shoot on the eastern and southern shores - I was starting to think they'd stopped coming altogether!

I've been shooting the lough for 15 years or so and unfortunately they don't come in the numbers that I used to see them in, they used to sit in rafts of 1000s of birds but there's still a few. Gadwall seem to be doing well the last few years

I've been shooting the lough for 15 years or so and unfortunately they don't come in the numbers that I used to see them in, they used to sit in rafts of 1000s of birds but there's still a few. Gadwall seem to be doing well the last few years

Aye. Plenty of gadwall and teal at the moment. Not so many mallard at the moment either. I did shoot one redhead last season but that was the first for years. Like you say, they are pretty scarce compared to 15 years ago.

Aye. Plenty of gadwall and teal at the moment. Not so many mallard at the moment either. I did shoot one redhead last season but that was the first for years. Like you say, they are pretty scarce compared to 15 years ago.

Somebody must be releasing mallard on the lough, I'd a drake the other week with a ring made out of black conduit, interestingly my mate shot a mallard last year on the lough that had been ringed in Co.Monaghan

Somebody must be releasing mallard on the lough, I'd a drake the other week with a ring made out of black conduit, interestingly my mate shot a mallard last year on the lough that had been ringed in Co.Monaghan

Good for them. It is compulsory for the wildfowling clubs on Strangford to release ducks annually - they are Basc rings. Its about time people started putting something back.

The last ringed duck I shot on lough neagh was a teal that had been ringed in Ringhaddy on Strangford one year (to the day) earlier.

Good for them. It is compulsory for the wildfowling clubs on Strangford to release ducks annually - they are Basc rings. Its about time people started putting something back.

The last ringed duck I shot on lough neagh was a teal that had been ringed in Ringhaddy on Strangford one year (to the day) earlier.

They don't put enough birds down as they all shoot the ***** out of the Lough by feeding ponds they call themselves wildflowers

Redheads was trying to upload a pic of a few we shot last year but cant work out how to do it on my phone. Lol not many showing abt the lough past 8 years r so. Cracking duck they r. I shot a ringed redhead a few years bk i shot it 8years after it was ringed and the info said it was an adult bird wen they ringed it.

That's great to hear, I wish it was the same on the lough, even if every club put out 100 mallard it would make some difference!

We put 20 tubes out a couple of years ago but unfortunately lost most of them in the massive floods last February. Anyone who knows the lough will know how rough it can get

I cant see nest tubes working. It would be like putting them in the sea - especially with the fluctuation s in water level. Ringing rearing and releasing would replenish wild stocks as well as adding a bit of interest from the returns from recovered ringed ducks.

If the club's did release 100 birds each that 300 my be 400 birds they would be all shot in the first month as everyone uses flight pond now and none knows what number to shoot to, I've.heard of 60+ bags of ducks of flight ponds by a couple of fella

I know all the horror stories about big bags of ducks being shot on the lough and don't agree with it, if anyone is that desperate to pull the trigger so much, go find a field of crows or go to a clay shoot! If for instance clubs let out say a 1000 birds,between them then that can only be a bonus!

If the club's did release 100 birds each that 300 my be 400 birds they would be all shot in the first month as everyone uses flight pond now and none knows what number to shoot to, I've.heard of 60+ bags of ducks of flight ponds by a couple of fella

You have quite a jaundiced view of your local wildfowlers. I still know a few on Strangford and you shouldn't tar them all with the same brush. As is often the case, the silent majority are proper wildfowlers.

All the fella down this end are on flight ponds this being down near the quoile, do you know where green green island is? If so the amount of ponds around this area is stupid nearly everyone has one.

I'm not.saying there isn't a few hardy wildfowler still about just none down this way anymore.