Crimping Rifle Shells for hunting

The Lee Reloading Manual (Modern Reloading) recommends that all hunting cartridges are 'Crimped' to withstand rough handling in the field. Does anyone have any views on doing (or not doing) this?

I have just made my first batch of 12 test loads (.223) which I shall be tweeking gradually to improve accuracy. The bullets dont feel particularly tight and I wonder if the optional Lee crimping die is a good idea?

Of course I may have a problem - the Hornady V-Max bullets I use do not have a cannelure so the crimping die might not improve things at all.

Anyone got any advice please?

B

I think one of the mistakes I may have made was to add a small amount of lube to the cartridge brush when I was cleaning the cases. As I only neck size I shouldn't have needed it, and it may have made the bullets a slightly looser fit. I'll try without next time.

Just tested my first batch - about a 7/8" group @ 100 yards. I know I can do better than that, and I will be building up the charge a little.

I was a bit surprised how much lower the shots were landing - about 3.5" low compared to factory ammunition. This was a start load though - 25.5 grns of Varget. No problems so I will build it up a little.

Thanks

B

You say you are using Lee dies so I just wondered how did you neck size?

By not fully FL sizing? Ie not taking the case to the max in the die so avoiding a full side resize.

With a standard Neck size Die?

With a Collet Die?

If the latter you may well need to adjust the diameter of the 'rod' that the die presses the brass against by spinning in an electric drill and holding Wet and Dry sand paper against it to remove a couple of thou so the case neck becomes smaller when you next resize and therefore grips the bullet tighter.

Lee make Collet dies so that they will cope will all people’s requirements but for each individual using different types of brass there may well be a need ‘adjust’ the diameter to suit the brass you use. It may be fine for the thickest of cases with little spring in the brass but not for the ones you are using if they are a thinner section and more inclined not to take the new setting you are trying to give them.

Now re crimping.

The main advantage of crimping especially with a Lee Crimp Die is the ability to provide a constant pressure between bullet and brass for every round. This means the pressure differences due to a lightly fitting bullet and a tight one are avoided and the rounds are therefore more consistent and accurate one to another. BUT that really only holds use a bullet with a cannelure. This may well be fine for hunting where COL is more important to ensure easy good feeding from magazine to chamber than the distance you set your bullets off the lands fro accuracy. However for those of us who use bullets without a cannelure there is a problem you need to be aware of if crimping.

A Lee crimp die should be set up so the top of the collet fingers just circle the end of the case neck. If you crimp too hard you actual balloon the brass below the crimp and then the neck has no tension with the walls of the bullet other than around the crimp. The secret is to just press the edge of the neck in enough so that when it flexes back to its free state it gives additional tension to the bullet and not balloon the wall of the neck below. If that can be achieved it will enhance your rounds but each case needs to be trimmed to absolutely the same length so perhaps as the time and effort is not worth it and few of us bother.

Thanks - that is really good advice. I used the Collet die only - Not the the full length jobby.

I am just using up the brass from my initial selection of factory loads - this particular batch was Federal (not American Eagle). I have a feeling they won't be the thickest brass around!. When I come to purchase brass I will be using Lapua. I will polish the Collet die then if I still have a problem.

Thanks for the help!

B

You say you are using Lee dies so I just wondered how did you neck size?

By not fully FL sizing? Ie not taking the case to the max in the die so avoiding a full side resize.

With a standard Neck size Die?

With a Collet Die?

If the latter you may well need to adjust the diameter of the 'rod' that the die presses the brass against by spinning in an electric drill and holding Wet and Dry sand paper against it to remove a couple of thou so the case neck becomes smaller when you next resize and therefore grips the bullet tighter.

Lee make Collet dies so that they will cope will all people’s requirements but for each individual using different types of brass there may well be a need ‘adjust’ the diameter to suit the brass you use. It may be fine for the thickest of cases with little spring in the brass but not for the ones you are using if they are a thinner section and more inclined not to take the new setting you are trying to give them.

Now re crimping.

The main advantage of crimping especially with a Lee Crimp Die is the ability to provide a constant pressure between bullet and brass for every round. This means the pressure differences due to a lightly fitting bullet and a tight one are avoided and the rounds are therefore more consistent and accurate one to another. BUT that really only holds use a bullet with a cannelure. This may well be fine for hunting where COL is more important to ensure easy good feeding from magazine to chamber than the distance you set your bullets off the lands fro accuracy. However for those of us who use bullets without a cannelure there is a problem you need to be aware of if crimping.

A Lee crimp die should be set up so the top of the collet fingers just circle the end of the case neck. If you crimp too hard you actual balloon the brass below the crimp and then the neck has no tension with the walls of the bullet other than around the crimp. The secret is to just press the edge of the neck in enough so that when it flexes back to its free state it gives additional tension to the bullet and not balloon the wall of the neck below. If that can be achieved it will enhance your rounds but each case needs to be trimmed to absolutely the same length so perhaps as the time and effort is not worth it and few of us bother.