Wild boar in the UK

Dunkield

I hear in france or italy the minimum for shooting wild bore is 270win

same as the uk then,

"The Department for the Environment, Food and rural Affairs (DEFRA) state that Police Firearms Licensing Branches require that wild boar are specifically listed on an individual's firearms certificate (FAC) before they may use a rifle to shoot wild boar. They do not consider the term "other vermin", which often appears on FACs to permit the culling of species such as foxes, to include wild boar. The most suitable type of firearm for shooting wild boar is a centre-fire rifle comparable with those permitted for deer culling under the Deer Act 1991. However, the minimum calibre permitted for deer is widely considered to be inadequate to ensure a clean kill for wild boar. Police guidance suggests a minimum calibre of .270 Winchester, or its metric equivalent (see Home Office; Firearms Law: Guidance to the Police, 2002) and a FAC will normally only be endorsed for shooting of wild boar if the rifle held is of .270 calibre or larger. Wild boar will normally only be added to a FAC if the holder has authority to shoot on land within an area known to have wild boar present."

http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/

I think we have done all this before but here goes...

Slugs at close range are one of the deadliest things you can arm yourself with.

Look at http://www.theboxotruth.com/ for further evidence.

The 270 thing as AS ALWAYS about placement and to a lesser exent bullet type.

I have now seen for myself a boar not being killed with a .375 H&H and being killed outright with a .308.

One was good shot, one wasn't so good.

It would need to be slug for me, you are right rarms those loads will do the job, but I wouldn't want to get as close as you would need to be to ensure a good kill with them :P

Brenecke(?) slugs did the job on the ones I saw shot, but from NTTF says the rifled ones from Federal and others look much better.