Moir mix or sunny daze

We grew some Moir mix, and its ok, but not great now. The various kale varieties got hammered by flea beetle in June, despite spraying for them several times, so it didn't do very well. It probably also needed some fertilizer on it, which it didn't get. In another season, with better growing conditions for kale, it would be a good mixture.

We also had some Campaign South, which is similar to Sunny Daze, but without the sunflowers. That has been brilliant and is still holding birds well, I will be growing some more for next season.

did about 4acres of this mix spun out the back of the quad,in 3 metre strips between trees in a newly planted wood. it will definitely last the season, and we will do again next year.also got some large blocks like colinf s which are in same condition as his.been a very good cover for us.

Will you get a second year out of it?

No, you need kale for a second year, so Moir Mix would give you a second year (only the kale though). If you want more than one year, also have a look at reed canary grass, chicory or artichokes, which will all do 5-10 years

I have been looking at the reed canary grass for next year to put around cover plots to windproof maize, it has been a difficult year to hold partridge that we release pheasants are wild, so I am looking at improving habitat as mild weather is the norm now. Any suggestions from those who have tried various crops (in the wash Lincolnshire, good soil)

No, you need kale for a second year, so Moir Mix would give you a second year (only the kale though). If you want more than one year, also have a look at reed canary grass, chicory or artichokes, which will all do 5-10 years

Kale just fine with me, makes a great cover if it's thick enough, 1 bit I've got this season is second year kale and it's great. I've got to drill the stewardship approved mixes so chicory,artichokes etc out of the running unfortunately.