training program for my mutt

flash

ive got a 6 yr old cocker spaniel cross jack russel, that im looking to train as shooting partner. just for retrieving the odd pheasent and pigeon etc, also for flushing, doesnt have to be perfect. she will retrieve squirels for me no problem, but she wont pick up birds. any way i can rectify this, and what is the best way to go about retrieving shot birds etc.

cheers

flash

generally yeah, sometimes she gets over excited and goes mad, probably the cocker in her though. she has a good noes on her and come on the shoot sometimes, though shes genereally useless she will put up pheasents and put up the only sniper ive ever shot, which i was very proud of her for :oops:

getting a training dummy off my uncle tomorrow to see what she thinks of that.

Flash the first thing to do is play retreive with her in the back yard until she is crazy for the game. Once she is at the point of being driven by the retrieve then you can start to add some feathers to the ball or bumper and then onto warmed birds and then on to thawed birds and then on to ffresh shot.

Let me know if you want some help. :good:

NTTF

i got her a half pound (i think) training dummy for puppies(could be lighter then that)

just playing fetch in the garden, she will always go get it, but most of the time will drop it half way to come to me. she loves retrieving but wont bring it to me, anyway i can right it, or just keep presisting till it works?

cheers

flash

Once she picks up the retrieve and turns towards you, start to immediately tell her good girl, good puppy, thata girl...all the way back into you. At the same time start to jog backwards. This will increase her drive towards you and use the prey drive in her to have her come back to you. When she gets to with in 6 feet take one step towards her and you should both end up in the exact same place. Be sure to continue to praise her and do not be in a rush to take the dummy from her, if she wants to hold it for a bit that is fine aslong as she is not trying oto run around with it. You can also give her a small treat when she gets to you with the dummy as added incentive. :good:

NTTF