Long range .223

I've been looking at trajectory charts on the net, and on suggests that bullet drop at 500 yards is almost the same for the .223 as it is for 7.62/.308? Could I use .223 for 600m comps, not seriously, but for fun? If it's cleared for roe deer later in the year, it would be an ideal round for me as more farms would be cleared for its use than for the .308 :good:

I remember seeing that video, but couldn't remember what range he was shooting at. The .223 is kinder on the shoulder too, which has to be a good thing in the long run. If the deer bit is passed later in the year, it'll open up some great chances. I know that a .308 is better, but I really don't want to be buying too many guns. No matter how positive we all feel, if another Dunblane type thing happens our government isn't known to be reasonable. I'd be seriously p****d off if I lost a years wages worth of good kit with little or no compensation, and theres every chance it will happen one day whether we like it or not :good:

I HAVE 223 REM IN TIKKA IF YOU LOOKING FOR A GOOD RANGE MAKE SURE IT HAS A FAST TWIST MOST ARE 1 IN 12 MINE IS A 1 IN 8 SO CAN HANDLE HEAVY LOAD ROUNDS SO YOU CAN SHOOT 69G BULLETS, I HAVE AN HEAVY BARREL ON MINE SO IT DOESNT GET SO HOT SO QUICK.

The Australian Army Sniper course requires 10 shots on a 10" target at 1000yds so the 223/5.56 is well up to the task

Yeah right, you're not thinking I should do the same are you?? It shows the bullets do the distance, although 5.56 is a higher pressured round than the .223. If it's good for 1000, then 600 should be ok.

I HAVE 223 REM IN TIKKA IF YOU LOOKING FOR A GOOD RANGE MAKE SURE IT HAS A FAST TWIST MOST ARE 1 IN 12 MINE IS A 1 IN 8 SO CAN HANDLE HEAVY LOAD ROUNDS SO YOU CAN SHOOT 69G BULLETS, I HAVE AN HEAVY BARREL ON MINE SO IT DOESNT GET SO HOT SO QUICK.

I'll bear the twist rate in mind if I get one. Does the faster twist mean lighter bullets don't go as well though? Thanks for pointing it out :good:

• 3 weeks later...
If your using that rifle for foxes as well 1:9 is the perfect twist rate will stabilise 50 grains up to 70's maybe more.

1:8 wont work to well with the lighter faster bullets

I agree. I too have a Tikka T3. The lighter bullets do not fly well. 55gr is ideal for all round shooting. However, it can easily (and well) handle the heavier 75/80gr bullets, which is what you will want for the 600m shooting.

Just a few days ago I used the 75gr A-MAX to devastating effect on a large dog fox and shortly thereafter his vixen. I had an awkward shot at the dog fox as he suddenly decided to turn and lie down, just as I started to shoot (the land had not been shot over for quite some time - they were not used to people with rifles!). As a result of his movement, the bullet entered his rear thigh and ended up in the engine room, dropping him instantly. The entry wound was devastating with the 75gr A-MAX - similar to the exit wound on a rabbit shot with a .17HMR. The bullet remained within the body, but caused massive shock and internal damage ensuring the instant kill. I am not sure the 55gr V-MAX would have been as clean a kill under the circumstances.