22-250???FEO

Phil9

Am I correct in thinking you have to shoot out of a high seat requested by your FAO if so why do you need to be shooting out to long ranges you should be able to shoot any fox at 100 mtrs out of a high seat when the time comes that you get an open ticket then go for a rifle which will shoot out to the distance you are thinking of if your land is as flat as you say that's the reason you didn't get your CF first time around shooting long range you need good back stops as with close range shooting

• 2 weeks later...

I think generally it would be handy for everybody to remember the point at which they started shooting, how much they knew and not be quite as harsh (and in some cases) condescending.

It is easy to tell people to do their homework etc but I think we have all been in a position where we need a bit of help and advice. We only get to truly learn about the field craft, range estimation, suitable shots for suitable situations etc etc in "real life". I think the one size fits all attitude is less then helpful.

For example saying that people would not head shoot to me is a generalisation like saying .22rf is not suitable for foxes. The situation, range, competency all come into play. I will generally chest shoot foxes with my .243 for preference but like the last 2 nights where I am after rabbits and foxes I have taken the .17 hmr. I prefer to take the shot as close as possible (under 80 yards) and head shoot them. I am confident in my abilities and always prefer to drop them on the spot with a headshot. This accounted for 3 in the last 2 nights.

Phil9- take the positive comments on board but ultimately make a decision you think is the best one and go from there. Some will work nicely, some you will regret but you can always change calibre and rifles if they dont work for you. I changed from .223 to .243 and now have this as a dedicated NV foxing rifle. Great bit of kit, many would say "overkill" etc but couldnt care as it works well for me.