Labrador

njc110381

Me and the old chap were having a bit of a disagreement over these dogs earlier. I was saying that I've seen black labs that are quite small before, and he thinks they are all Golden retriever sized. You can get smaller ones can't you? How easy would it be to judge from parents how big a dog will be? My dad's very small, and doesn't like the idea of walking something he can't hold on to if he has to! The one I'm thinking about was just a bit bigger than an english bull terrier

Edit...The one my dad is referring to was like a chesapeake (spelling?) bay retriever, rather large!

Me and the old chap were having a bit of a disagreement over these dogs earlier. I was saying that I've seen black labs that are quite small before, and he thinks they are all Golden retriever sized. You can get smaller ones can't you? How easy would it be to judge from parents how big a dog will be? My dad's very small, and doesn't like the idea of walking something he can't hold on to if he has to! The one I'm thinking about was just a bit bigger than an english bull terrier

Edit...The one my dad is referring to was like a chesapeake (spelling?) bay retriever, rather large!

One of my pet hates is the uninformed, usually in newspaper articles, referring to a "Golden Labrador",

Does make me cross......... glad to have got that off my chest :/:)

:lol: D2D

Can't allways tell from the parent what size the dog will be as you will allways get a throwback.

I have a lab now and he is my second one, First one was the same size as her parents and was quite small, Second one was also from small parents BUT had drakeshead in the line and he is a MUCH bigger dog.

When I had the 2 of them together the old girl was about 2" shorter to the shoulder and 8 - 10" shorter in length.

On weighing them at the vets the old girl was 20Kg and the new one weighed in at 38Kg at 12 & 2 years respectfully. The new one wighed in at 41kg this week when he had his boosters.

Now as for pulling my little spaniel pulled more on the lead than either of the labs. (but she was walked off the lead mainly as I leved in a much differnt place then)

Trev

My first Labrador weighed 6kg when she was 10 weeks, thats too big realy. It might seem an old tale but if there is plenty of slack in the coat then it will be a big dog. My secound Lab is growing, his dad weighed in at 8 stone and that was all muscle but the pup weighed 4kg at 10 weeks. I dont think you can ever risk buying a lab thinking it will be small due to parents or anything, they eat like horses and even if it is small it will pile on the pounds if not very well dieted.

My dad has a serious injury which prevents him being able to lift much, he realy wanted a lab but could'nt risk it, so he opted for a Golden Cocker Spaniel, Not as fast as my Labs and it cant carry as much but trust me, it will never give up. There great little dogs with bags of character.

Hope this helps.

Heya all

I have a 16week old black lab dog and a fella around the road has a 18month old golden lab bitch and they are both the similar size.

:good:

i have a short but stocky black lab,my brother has a lanky fox red looks more like a grey hound. i prefer the shorter ones as better for going into cover.

oops :)

:blink: D2D

post-3007-1175114539.jpgpost-3007-1175114539.jpg

my dog as Drakeshead and flashmont socrates lines and hes a big ****** , not tall , but deep in the chest and chunky and a large head .

does this tally with other owners labs of these lines , would love to see any pics for comparison

cheers

this is my lab bitch out of flashmount fall