The Lynx effect

Rodp as I have said we have had issues with stalkers in the past. One would only take stags\hinds with good heads and was not interested in the females. We need control not trophy shooting. Another thought he was going to build up the herd and then act as a guide to sub let the stalking . He managed to get hold of a small number of fallow from a near by deer park and introduced them ( we never had fallow before ) .Bringing in more deer is the last thing we wanted. I found the same guy shooting along a track ( about a mile long ) with a kink in the middle so the far end of the track was obscured and he was outside the agreed shooting time. Anyone walking along the far section would be out of sight , but in the fireing line. Insured or not it will not do me much good if I am the person walking along the track. There was no need for it as we have a number of high seats scattered around the woods. Another stalker would leave the deer guts laying about which was awkward on one occasion when I was taking a group of young school children around the reserve.

The estate let us know where and when they are stalking and we plan to avoid that area of wood when they are out and as I said they took out 50 deer last winter I doubt many sport stalkers would take that many. To allow free deer stalking would rase more problems than it would cure.

Scotslad , we have spent about £6000 on deer fencing plus the cost of maintaining them ( about £1500 a year ) and that is a large part of the reserve budget so for the time being we have to manage with what we have, but I will look into your NZ fences.

Edited by anser2