Yet another NV project (cheapest of the cheap)

In my attempt to get NV on a (extremely tight) budget I have been diddling with kit.

The camera came off the Bay of E

After watching quite a few videos about how to convert a standard digital camera to see IR (removing the filter) I went for the Lumix. While not the cheapest out there I saw I could get to the filter without completely dissembling the camera (Two other makes have been binned (Well the kids have cameras now)).

I appreciate that this will be nowhere near the standards of the majority of you other NV dabblers, so no need to launch in.

The tube comes from B&Q and cost a couple of quid

I have a converted Ultrafire 501b with an IR LED and one of those funky lenses. I also shroud the output with the inside of a cling film roll (stops the flare from my moderator).

I have a rubber sunshade from the USA (Cant get a screw in one), But in the madness of the moment, I made an aluminium one from a Bud bottle.

So, I have fitted it and taken a couple of shots (to be uploaded soon) of the chimney on a neighbour's house (through the window (don't need the lads with the disco lights and woo woos paying a visit)), 55m away.

I also have a Lidl NV monocle which refuses point blank to work on any of my scopes.

I have an extremely shy fox that I'm determined to 'have words with'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asrkki3vp3p5j6m/2015-05-25%2006.38.55.jpg?dl=0

Bah, can't get my image to show. Can anyone assist please?

Interesting to see how far you will see at night, although unfortunately I think you may struggle to get to air rifle ranges with that camera and illuminator. You should be able to put together a much more effective unit for less than £50 if you shop around - although you won't be able to record the images easily.

Am heading out tonight, so will update.

Keeping it real: I doubt it'll reach far, so I'll park up near a warren tonight to see bow it goes (and take the standard kit too).

The IR filter is off, but it still picks up visible light, so might just get video of the bunnies.

Whats the most effective unit you can put together for under £50 suitable for airgun range

You should be able to buy a Sony Super HAD CCD II board camera with a 16 mm lens, cheap 3.5 inch screen and 12 v li-ion battery for less than £50. Carefully remove the IR blocking filter over the sensor and you'll have a unit that will work brilliantly for air rifles. :good: you will need an IR illuminator like the T38 too but they are quite cheap too.