help rat

stuart92

hi all i need sum help on rats i have a .177 and have been asked to fine them down at a local recycling plant and i need help on what pellet to use (i think may be stupied)i have been told not to damage eneything or else :good: so a pellet that will stop in the rat or a expanding pellet thank :good:

stu

i rekon you wantbisley magnums,they heavy and stop rats ,or maybe a flat headed pellet ,or h+n hollow points.and as for damage,dont hit anything that will break lol. :good:

yer thanks but i'm not the most teckey :good: on the names and stuff like that so flat head hole head copper tip like that........

I'd imagine your best bet is to get a lot of practice in! I've heard that hollowpoints are mean't to be good for losing energy if you miss, but I've never tried them myself. Logun penetrators are what I mostly use and they hit very hard and fast and seem to always do a good clean job.

-Andrew

Joking aside,

I have just read your profile and have to ask: Do you know that it is ILLEGAL for you to own an air gun as you are only 14?

Legally you are not allowed to own an air gun, either bought by you or gifted to you, unless you are 17.

You are also not allowed to shoot without being in the mentorship of an older person, is it over 21?

I would suggest that you make sure that:

a) you are abiding with the law before you go out shooting somewhere

and that

b ) you ensure that you are a good shot before you go shooting any animal otherwise it's inhumane. Make sure that you can accurately group within 20mm at the range you are expecting to shoot at (my apologies if you already know this.)

Finally, there is nothing techie about remembering the names of the pellet that you intend to use. If you go into your local gun shop and ask for Bisley Magnums then they will be able to either sell you exactly what you want or will offer a suitable alternative ... mind you, only being 14 prevents you from buying even the pellets as you have to be 17 I believe to buy pellets!

Hope this helps you in keeping our hobby legal

Karl

Joking aside,

I have just read your profile and have to ask: Do you know that it is ILLEGAL for you to own an air gun as you are only 14?

Legally you are not allowed to own an air gun, either bought by you or gifted to you, unless you are 17.

You are also not allowed to shoot without being in the mentorship of an older person, is it over 21?

and that

b ) you ensure that you are a good shot before you go shooting any animal otherwise it's inhumane. Make sure that you can accurately group within 20mm at the range you are expecting to shoot at (my apologies if you already know this.)

Finally, there is nothing techie about remembering the names of the pellet that you intend to use. If you go into your local gun shop and ask for Bisley Magnums then they will be able to either sell you exactly what you want or will offer a suitable alternative ... mind you, only being 14 prevents you from buying even the pellets as you have to be 17 I believe to buy pellets!

Karl

Karl it would appear you are wrong, this is taken from the pinned BASC code of practices:

you are aged between 14 - 17 years you may use an air rifle on private premises without supervision with the consent of the occupier - normally the owner or tenant. However, if you allow a pellet to go outside of the premises whilst you are shooting then you commit a criminal offence.

Are you planning on using your .177 meteor?? What is it chronoing at? As a would say a .177 9ftlbs rifle may not be the ideal tool for ratting! See how you get on with a couple of shots but be prepared for a lot of runners. In which case you should either stop or change weapon.

The Meteor should be o.k.

Most ratting is up close and personnal, not normal airgun hunting ranges. Also it limits the potential damage.

Are you a member of BASC? (if not, why not?! :rolleyes: ) This comes with insurance that covers you in the (unlikely) case you do have a moody.

I'd say flat heads are a good choice and maybe a laser if you have the money. It makes target acqasition (sp?) a lot easier at those ranges where a scope may throw you.

I use a .177 for rats and have less runners than when i used a .22. Head shots are easier with the .177 and as for pelletts I think you will find that even flat headed pelletts with go straight through a rat without losing much speed so be careful with whats behind!

You want to try out JSB PREDATOR on rats they tend to go through with my XL but do the job

JSB-predator-22-2T.jpg

I use a .177 for rats and have less runners than when i used a .22. Head shots are easier with the .177 and as for pelletts I think you will find that even flat headed pelletts with go straight through a rat without losing much speed so be careful with whats behind!

Joking aside,

and that

Karl

yes i now but when i go out i have my dad with me enen cleaning the air rfiles there not kine there my dads we just use them and we now the guy who owns it and will be there with use.....

:good: I disagree strongly, most of the rats in the picture below were shot with a HW45 and i can assure you they were very dead!, I have shot many rats at my local lake with it, woodies and squirrels have all sucumbed to it as well. i use promethius pellets in it.

The gun was actually reccomended to me by a professional pest controller and has not let me down.

i have used flat heads in it for rats, but i had one bounce back and hit me in the face, even though the rat in question was dead as a doornail!!! :good:

post-5449-1172252054.jpg

post-5449-1172252035.jpg