Password protecting a database

Lloyd90

In work atm I need to make a database containing clients names, current locations, and some important dates etc, Their names will be hyperlinked to their files.

I will need to update when they were last visited etc and also regularly add new clients

Is there a way I can password lock the document, so the whole team can read it etc but no accidently delete anything or anyone ?

What programme are you using as a database?

Excel but willing to use anything that can hold a file, folder or some sort of way to quickly look through clients based off of their name, or groupings to show all the clients in the same location etc

(Its for service users in care home that we need to visit every so many weeks, It holds their name, the local authority that referred them, their date of last visit, DOB and is grouped by their location, as when visiting each care/nursing home I or we can see each person there that we represent.)

Be mindful of any constraints under the data protection act for the content that you are storing. Name, address and date of birth are not too bad, but if you had any case notes or similar that may relate to their health conditions or such like then that has more significant implications.

Excel can be secured, but it is easily cracked and if you were to lose a USB stick with the file on it or a laptop was stolen and the data contains sensitive private data, i.e. case notes, then you would need to/should inform the data commissioners office.

I know from previous posts that you are working towards being or are a social worker so I am guessing that this is in relation to that type of work.

The best advice would be don't invent something for yourself as it opens you up to a world of difficulty if something goes wrong. If you do need to do something then don't fly solo, run it past compliance officers or similar within your employer, have a paper trail to protect yourself.

I understand that sometimes people need a working and useful tool to do their day job and it is often much easier to invent one than go through a business process, but as CIO i have binned senior people in the past for getting stuff like this wrong.

Yes mate I've got a summer job for a charity as an advocate for people who have lost capacity (from dementia mostly buy also lots of other stuff) and have to advocate on their behalf or check theyre being looked after the right way under the conditions of the Mental Capacity act :)

Very interesting stuff.

As it stands atm they already have a database with such information as they need it, its only in the office on password protected PCs.

Ibjist wanted to know how to password protect editing such a database as atm only the manager has it and worries should someone accidently delete or move something it would be lost.

Some people there are very tech savvy and some not so much.

Thanks for the advice though so far lads.

Simply adding a password to edit should do the trick :)

Most businesses seriously under estimate the requirements they have for maintaining computerised records. If it is just a basic thing that already exists then at least it isn't you that is in the firing line if something goes wrong.

If it is simply to prevent accidental mistakes then password protection will hopefully do all you need.

The job does sound interesting and I hope that it is a rewarding experience for you.

Sorry if my answer seemed a bit OTT, just wouldn't want you to fall foul of something inadvertently :)

No mate it was fine and always worth considering.

Yer atm I'm just updating alot of stuff and this is just to protect the already existing database from accidental editing of data.

Very interesting job, working with alot of professionals and social workers from a different perspective so very good to do.

Seeing alot of stuff from new perspectives to say the least