muzzle loader

mikewareing

Just a shadow on a reset breech

Feltwad

Haven't a clue who made it or its history

Or the mark on the breech

So how much powder and shot for a starter load

And what's the best way of getting the load that's in there out 😟

There may be a few marks or a name when I've got st it with a bit of elbow grease

Thanks for looking

Of

Haven't a clue who made it or its history

Or the mark on the breech

So how much powder and shot for a starter load

And what's the best way of getting the load that's in there out

There may be a few marks or a name when I've got st it with a bit of elbow grease

Thanks for looking

Of

Some of these loads have been in the barrel for a 100years and could be rusted in ,do not use any heat because it can still ignite .You need a worm on the end of a cleaning rod the best are the screw of old corkscrew soldered to a the brass part of a old cleaning wool mop. Next fill up the barrel with a penetrating solution mixed with water and leave to stand for a few days until the water starts too drain from the nipple .next drain the rest of the water out and use the worm to withdraw the charge , it may not be a charge it could be something like an old cleaning part .When you are sure that the obstruction is withdrawn and you have a passage of air through the nipple take the barrel too your gunsmith for him to check it out by removing the breech plug. it could be badly pitted where the charge had been .

A starting load would be the load of a 12 bore 2.3/4 drms of medium powder to 1.1/8 oz of shot ,always remember the gun is an antique and if you are going to use it it MUST be entered on your SGC has a antique. Good luck

Feltwad

Just measuring a 12g cartridge seems to indicate it is around 10g.

They usually shot from 1&1/4-1&1/2 oz.

You could consider proofing it your self.

Tie it too a heavy tyre and use a piece of string to pull the trigger from a safe distance.

Measure the barrel at market points before and compare after.

2oz of shot and equal volume of powder should prove it one way or the other.

Just measuring a 12g cartridge seems to indicate it is around 10g.

They usually shot from 1&1/4-1&1/2 oz.

You could consider proofing it your self.

Tie it too a heavy tyre and use a piece of string to pull the trigger from a safe distance.

Measure the barrel at market points before and compare after.

2oz of shot and equal volume of powder should prove it one way or the other.

Brilliant info thanks UD I see what it looks like and let you know how it goes I assume felt wad out of a 10 will be ok

Many thanks

Of

Some of these loads have been in the barrel for a 100years and could be rusted in ,do not use any heat because it can still ignite .You need a worm on the end of a cleaning rod the best are the screw of old corkscrew soldered to a the brass part of a old cleaning wool mop. Next fill up the barrel with a penetrating solution mixed with water and leave to stand for a few days until the water starts too drain from the nipple .next drain the rest of the water out and use the worm to withdraw the charge , it may not be a charge it could be something like an old cleaning part .When you are sure that the obstruction is withdrawn and you have a passage of air through the nipple take the barrel too your gunsmith for him to check it out by removing the breech plug. it could be badly pitted where the charge had been .

A starting load would be the load of a 12 bore 2.3/4 drms of medium powder to 1.1/8 oz of shot ,always remember the gun is an antique and if you are going to use it it MUST be entered on your SGC has a antique. Good luck

Feltwad

Many thanks for taking the time to reply I shall enter it on my sgc before I fire it given that I'm optimistic and the bore will be fine long way to nearest gunsmith so I think I may have a crack at taking out the breech plug myself iv just took it off the wood and got it soaking in a bit of penetrating oil

I shall make up a worm to try and extract the obstruction

Thanks for the sensable advice

I assume it is a fine black powde you would use not a coarse one

Many thanks

Of

OF

Make sure the load is removed before you try too remove the plug that is a must.Use medium grain powder will be the best.

Feltwad

Will do as you say many thanks for your sound advice

I've only got fine and coarse powder so I'll crush a bit of the coarse till it's halfway between the two

When I've got it apart and refitted the bit to the lock

Many thanks

Of