First time duck shooting advice please

ilovemyheckler

I have been invited duck shooting next Thursday evening over a man made pond on a farm.

Not sure if it makes any difference but it's in Scotland.

Although I have a gun (12b o/u) I don't shoot very much and this will be my first time duck shooting.

What do I need to know, everything from actual shooting advice to which cartridges, what to wear etc. etc.

Thanks

Do not worry about to much wildfowling gear( decoys, calls ect ), dress in dull waterproof clothes , and a hat is important to shield your face and do not forget the wellies. Check the chokes on your gun. If you have a full choke you will have to use Bismuth ( which is pricey) , if you have 1\2 choke or less you can use steel ( which is a lot cheaper ).

I would guess you will be shooting a flight pond so remember to let the duck come in close before you shoot and keep still until you are ready to fire. A torch might be useful but use it sparingly and only if you need to. Flashing a light about at flight will just scare the duck off , but it could be useful after flight looking for a duck or walking off the marsh. If you have a dog take him, butkeep him well under control as you do not want a dog runing wild as the duck try to come in.