Rained off.

Scully

:no: It was a dire forecast anyhow, with high winds and heavy rain from the outset, but it's a rough shoot day, so we went.

Those birds which did get up were fantastic once the wind got hold of them, resulting in some fabulous hits and hilarious misses, but by lunchtime we'd had enough; even my Otterbox had rained in, causing my phone to think it was underwater.

We'd pre-ordered steaming pie and peas from the local butchers, so after the landowner and his wife had changed into dry clothing and gone down for them, we had the craic while eating them in one of the outbuildings (helped by the dogs) and going over the mornings shots and birds, then stiffly got back on our feet and came home without doing the second leg.

It's got to be a bad day before I'll think of calling it a day, but today was one of them days. Shame.

Edited by Scully

At least you braved the weather and had a good morning. To be fair you should be used to poor weather up your neck of the woods mate...though I cant talk as the weather here isnt nice at the moment :lol:

There is a sign atop the Fells heading North up the M6 which says 'Welcome to Cumbria', although Cumbrians reckon there's no need; any visitors will know when they get into Cumbria cos it'll be ******* down. :)

I did my D of E Gold in Wales Mike, back in 1976. They reckoned it was the wettest part of wales but it hadn't rained for 7 weeks and one of my mates was carried off th hills with salt deficiency. :) Saying that, Rhodd Gilbert reckons he was 16 before he realised he could take off his Cagoule! :yes:

Well done for completing half of it and it sounds like you will have some funny memories from it. Character building stuff!

Yes indeed. I can't think of any other reason I would venture out in such rain for. It's never a completely bad day when out shooting in good company, but when it's starting to trickle down the back of your neck it's pretty hard to muster up enthusiasm to go back out in it. :) Landowner thought his gun had developed a problem, but it was simply his fingers were so cold they would hardly work.

Thanks for the comments both.

There is a sign atop the Fells heading North up the M6 which says 'Welcome to Cumbria', although Cumbrians reckon there's no need; any visitors will know when they get into Cumbria cos it'll be ******* down. :)

I did my D of E Gold in Wales Mike, back in 1976. They reckoned it was the wettest part of wales but it hadn't rained for 7 weeks and one of my mates was carried off th hills with salt deficiency. :) Saying that, Rhodd Gilbert reckons he was 16 before he realised he could take off his Cagoule! :yes:

LOL...I was born in Whitehaven though my folks moved to Wales when I was 6 months old...must have been on the hunt for better weather....and got lost on the way. :lol::lol: